SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 20 April 2023

MY LONE STAR VEHICLE COLLECTION

Over the last three months I have been increasing my collection of Lone Star Modern Army vehicles. Although styled 'Modern', these die cast vehicles were made during the 1960s and they actually represent the 1940-70 period. The scale is about 1/40? although many are provided with a seat for a figure belonging to their associated range of plastic soldiers (see my Parachute Regiment posts) which are 1/32. So they are fine for Toy Soldier Wargaming (as opposed to Wargaming with Historical Miniatures).

First up is my battery of MISSILE LAUNCHERS. They can shoot matchsticks about seven yards, while the heavy metal missiles have a range of about five feet. 

Still to tidy up this truck, which arrived somewhat scratched and missing its rear wheels. But it arrived in a delivery which included the all important RADAR. 

My second truck is in a fine condition. I have attached the MULTI ROCKET launcher.

I guess this DOUBLE-BARRELLED GUN can represent a Bofors 40mm, in some kind of anti-aircraft role. I now have four Bren Gun Carriers, might convert one for service with my German WW2 Army.

Here are some of my first Lone Star vehicles, these are rather small for using with 1/32 figures, but I still like them on the gaming table.

I'm rather pleased to have this SEARCHLIGHT in my collection. It seems so appropriate attached to my WW2 British army.

I still have two extra trailers with some bits missing. Might try converting them into something useful to serve with the above.
MGB

6 comments:

  1. Fine collection of vehicles MGB - I particularly like the armoured cars. Amazing that you managed to get hold of trailers and lorries with the attachments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, yes, had a bit of luck in four auctions. They aren't really valuable, but some of the extras are somewhat rare to find. The good thing is, they don't look too out of place with 54mm figures. Clever old Lone Star for fudging the scales by adding the external seat, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful collection Michael! They are a bit wonky as far as scale goes, but as children's toys they are marvelous! Such fun and excellent play value, great finds indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad, their scale is certainly 'irregular'. Its the external seat which helps confuse the issue. No plans to seek out any more, but its a fun collection and opens up an array of game scenarios. I'm thinking of missions to knock out the radar, or those missile launchers for starters.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Seven yards? They don't make toys like they used to! (This is a fantastic collection! I tend to like underscale vehicles myself - particularly when figures represent more than one man.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly don't, John. Having spent decades using 28mm historical miniatures, my collection of 'toy soldiers' have been granted the right to confuse scales a little. In 54mm, you have to make some compromises, surely? The strange thing is, as soon as you place the seated figure on the model, it no longer catches my eye... which is great.
      Michael

      Delete