SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 22 May 2023

7RHA Troop joins the Parachute Regiment

Yesterday I converted some spare figures into a 7RHA gun crew, to man a 25pdr with my Parachute Regiment. Also painted the bren gun carrier crew. All these figures are 1960s Lone Star toy soldiers. Not sure why, Lone Star vehicle crew were sold with grey helmets. I have respected this tradition and given them dark grey, to serve as a distinction in the collection.

MGB
ps. My thanks to Hugh of the SMALL SCALE WORLD website for drawing my attention to the 7RHA,  and its links with the Parachute Regiment. 

6 comments:

  1. Excellent conversions Michael! The figures all look quite natural around the artillery piece and will serve perfectly in your games! I also like the grey helmets and how they set this unit apart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad. Having put so much time into the Lone Star collection, I better devise a scenario and actually use them. Yes, I agree, the grey helmets look distinctive. That it harks back to their origins is also good!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Pleasure mate; they are a fine sight, if a little too shiny for us hardcore figure collectors! But I believe I read somewhere that paint affects performance with wargamers, so they should be winners!!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hugh, tradition has it, when you field your newly purchased/painted unit on a wargames table for the first time it gets immediately knocked out, or fails its morale. But yes, it probably does influence a player's tactics when they see something bold and colourful, regardless of its 'official' military rating...... but the Paras will automatically have that on their side too!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Lovely old toys. The Bren Carrier crew figures are very rare these days - I'm just refurbishing my set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Tim, I have decided to limit their use to half the Lone Star collection, and convert some WW2 British for the other half, such as the Searchlight.
      Michael

      Delete