SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 1 May 2023

More Marines, etc. (And a Question)

Decided to disband one of my Ruritanian battalions, the Westmark or Blue Regiment. These were quite small hollow cast figures. Rather bored with this unit, and these figures would work better as marines attached to my model gunboats. Six figures have been painted up as US Marines, the remaining six are to be painted as Prussian Marines.

My spares box included another batch of the same small hollow cast figures. Decided to paint these up as Spanish marines c.1862. I'm quite pleased with these. And again, they are to be attached to a gunboat model.

My second battalion of French Foreign Legion can now muster seven figures. Just another five to be recruited. Have also a couple of mounted figures, might add them to this unit.

QUESTION FOR THE VIEWERS. Any idea who manufactured these 50mm pirates? Picked them up for 50p in a charity shop. Have seen more on an American site but they were sold out, and no mention of their make. They also included a barrel and a naval gun. I suspect they are cheap-shop figures, but they have some qualities. Made in China under the base. (Hugh, of the very useful SMALL SCALE WORLD site, has some plain plastic copies. Mine are painted just like the US examples.)
MGB

7 comments:

  1. Hi Michael, love what you did with the new US marines. They look amazing! I must say you are a very good painter of toy soldiers. How do you do so many and stay motivated? I must be very lazy as it takes me ages just to do small projects. Thank you for sharing all your projects are wonderful. Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Quinn. A member of my family has suggested I might be slightly autistic. My late brother was rather strong on his car hobbies too. I don't enjoy painting armies, my pleasure is completing a project. When I learnt to sew and make re-enactment uniforms, my friends thought I must enjoy sewing. They were wrong, I hated that too. I just wanted my members to look good, and authentic. For the record, I'm never really happy with my work, it could always be better! It might help if you compile a numbered list of painting projects, some complex, others easy, then use a highlighter to delete a project just completed. If you fight wargames with others, set up a future game where you are permitted to field all that are painted and based........ both you and your opponent will go on a war footing, it does work!. Also, get larger brushes and slap on key colours, small brushes are for detail only. Put on a video or audio book you know you like, and complete a project. Don't try and paint by manoeuvring your wrist, just the fingers hold the brush. Try to do the same paintwork on a batch of figures e.g. part of a white belt, then move on to another part of a belt on all the figures....... like a production line. Hope these thoughts helps.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Hi Michael, thank you very much. Your suggestions are very helpful to me. I will certainly be trying them out. Thank you again!
      Best wishes - Quinn

      Delete
  2. They have the look of Supreme's skeleton warriors which would make sense, my copies were Toy Major I think? But they are a tad small for fighting the skeletons, so don't quote me!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh, I was hoping you might express an opinion. I will see what else I can find. Regards.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. The Marines all look great Michael and the smaller size works quite well with your gunboats! I like your Legion figures and the bugler looks quite dashing on the Hoefler mount! All very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad. As much as I dislike repainting figures, the changes will improve collections and open up more scenarios. Today I 'reconstituted' a battalion of ten into Mecklenburg infantry c.1870. I'm pleased with the results.
      Michael

      Delete