SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Sunday 7 May 2023

SCHLESWIG WARS Danish troops Training c.1848

Last week I used my hobby time to work on twenty-seven Danish 1848 infantry. I was initially thinking of regiments of twelve, but these nine figure battalions will probably serve just as well. 

In the early years of the FIRST WAR, only the officers wore the new blue uniform, so the dates below are only uniform regulations.
MGB

6 comments:

  1. Hi wahat figures did you use as a basis ? I visited the danish militar museum in the nineties and bought some lovely uniform plates books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, they are some Napoleonic figures I picked up cheap at a show, but they required some heavy converting, Had to put a knife to their cuffs, shako, and convert their single-breasted jackets to double. It was a bit of a rigmarole, but I think it has worked.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Fine looking troops Michael, the modified Herald ACW officers are especially effective with your wonderful standards! I know that I will learn a lot as this project progresses. I am looking forward to more of your thorough research on this very interesting conflict!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad, well spotted on the Herald officers. I was going to paint strip them, but a Danish website declared that the officers initially wore the new blue uniform. They were then ordered to change back into red until the rest of the army was issued the same! The 18th century is my actual period of study so I must rely on others for 19th century wars. Will have another go on some figures today. The rest of my Herald ACW are now serving as Mecklenburg troops for 1964, will post a photo soon.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Stunning work and a really unique project, the infantry figures are Dutch infantry made by A Call to Arms, I think the loading figure is a great pose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brian, I had a feeling they were either Dutch or Belgians. Picked them up very cheaply. Have still got another eight which are to serve as a militia battalion. I might seek out some more at a later date but I want to use my hobby time converting US/Spanish/British surplus figures into German states.... so I can fight a game. As I mentioned before, it was your Herring War which inspired this collection. No plans to exceed sixty or so figures per side.
      Michael

      Delete