SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 19 June 2023

Saracen and Moorish Archers (Medievals)

My collection of 54mm Saracen-Turk Medievals has a serious shortage of shooting figures. Comprising a modest seven archers, and eight more I claim are javelin throwers, I really do need to increase their number. Having picked up four broken/oxidised Timpo Arabs, decided these could provide an opportunity to furnish a few more archers.

Here they are after some repositioning of arms and heads, supplemented with steel rods and milliput.


SWEDISH MEDIEVALS As a footnote, here are two 1950s lead knights. Decided to leave them pretty much as they were, just added some feathers. These will serve as a Swedish command base. No plans to raise an army, will draw on my Italian/French/Imperial/English collections. But I did find a plastic figure to hold the Swedish banner.

MGB

8 comments:

  1. Great to see these lovely old figures being brought back into service MGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MJT. Having parted with money for them all, I could not afford to lose them. But I am pleased with their potential service.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Excellent results as usual Michael! Your feathers are wonderful and the standard bearer is perfect! Plastic oxidation seems to be rearing its ugly head more and more! I have had a lot of trouble lately with some Cyrnos figures from France. I'm glad to see that you have overcome this malady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad. Unfamiliar with Cyrnos, had to look them up. Appear very similar in design to Starlux. Well, I won't say it's a remedy but it does at least give a second life to figures too fragile to be handled, or already broken. And I needed more archers for gaming. Luckily (?), the thick moulded heads snapped off, would have been difficult to cut. This gave two figures an appropriate positioning.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's a 1960s plastic Lone Star figure, Q. It originally had a flimsy mace as a weapon, which had fallen off. But the position was perfect for drilling to hold a pike.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. What you did to make Arab archers is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I am pleased with this. The oxidisation was bad on all four, close to dumping them, could be cut like chalk. Decided to break off the arms, reset them with pins and Milliput. Metal wire for bows, some 28mm javelin cases were converted into 54mm quivers. I will certainly consider doing such again with broken medievals.
      Michael

      Delete