SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 6 September 2023

GERMAN GUNBOATS set sail (1860-1914)

Completed yesterday, here is my second German gunboat. This one is inspired by an old tinplate toy. The combination of steam and sail is recorded in the 1880s for German ships on colonial service, or long voyages, so the original tin toy is probably also of a similar date.

Looking up German ships, have named these models after two actual gunboats. Olga (with sail), and Blitz. The former actually served in the 2nd Schleswig War of the 1860s.


My first gunboat, Blitz,  has also received its brass railings, using steel eyed pins. Well I don't want my crew falling overboard.

The Flotilla sets sail.
The original inspiration for Olga.

Not to be outdone by the Germans, my French gunboats have recruited a second-lieutenant, a converted plastic guardsman in a slouch hat.

My Royal Marines have also gained a new recruit, making two firing sections (companies) for this unit.

MGB

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful vessels MGB - I like the mix of Steam and Sail very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, yes, I do agree. Finding an old toy to replicate that combined such was a lucky find. That similar gunboats were used in the 1864 war was an added bonus.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Two gorgeous ships Michael, and very useful on your game table! The original "Olga" was a very important ship in its time. In 1884 she and the original "Bismarck" set sail for Cameroon to suppress a Duala native uprising. "Olga" shelled the native villages while "Bismarck's" sailors provided a landing force to attack the village. Their mission was a complete success and within twenty-four hours the rebellion had been squashed. I have seen two old sets of tin flats representing both "Olga" and "Bismarck," as well as the sailors, natives and village that were necessary to re-enact this battle. "Olga" was a real rock star in her day, a perfect name choice for you to use in your battles Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Splendid comment, Brad. Thank you very much. I did not know about 'Olga' and its service record in Africa. Fascinating to hear about those old toys too! To be honest, I chose the name as it was used by a gunboat, and I was likely to remember it, lol. Now, do I need to represent 'Bismarck' on the gaming table? Thanks again.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work on these boats and crew, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark. Have spent a bit on toy soldiers lately, so it's nice that these new fleet additions probably cost less than £2.50 each to construct and paint, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Those Lone Star marines I played with as a child in the 1960s. My friend and I didn't know what they were and thought they were police. Generally, they fought against Timpo cowboys. It is a shame they didn't do standing and kneeling figures firing rifles. Then again, they are ceremonial figures. I used them in my later years in a King Kong game where the Royal marines were standing by to retrieve a small expeditionary force on Skull Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely comment, Q. I too played with some of these figures in the late 1960s, They were hand-me-downs from my late brother. I suspect they were 'approved' toys from my late father, he had only recently left the Fleet Air Arm.
      Michael

      Delete