SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 1 September 2023

WW2 AMERICAN FORCES, painted and ready

Have been steadily building up my WW2 American forces. Most collectors and 54mm gamers are drawn to the ready painted W.Britains Deetail range. I wasn't that struck on these, the cost can be quite high, the paintwork is standard factory level, and I wanted to collect something older. 

In a recent auction I picked up nineteen 1960s Timpo GI's for £14.40 delivered. These were added to eighteen others already in my possession. These arrivals have allowed me to raise a number of units.

Last week I decided to repair/paint a large batch of these figures. Pleased to report that I completed eighteen GIs in one run. Varnished and based, here are some photos showing the new additions integrated.

The recent delivery.

This 1970s die-cast M8 armoured car arrived in June. In almost perfect condition, I picked it up for £7 delivered! It's appropriately made by an American company, Tootsie Toys. I think it works well with 1/32 figures. 
Back to the Timpo figures. Seven were suffering with oxidisation and this caused several to be broken. Fortunately, many were surplus bazooka figures. Decided to convert those damaged into a crew for a Lone Star Bren Gun Carrier. This vehicle was paint stripped, and a new tow bar added (screw/milliput/plasticard). A small metal machine gun, picked up for 35p, completed the project.

As a follow-on to an earlier post, have completed the Dinky jeep which I picked up for £5. I used a broken Starlux figure to provide a driver. This will serve as my US Command vehicle.
Another broken Starlux figure is given legs and attached to an infantry battalion.

MORE RECRUITS
Just picked up another batch of figures. Now these were rather expensive at £9.99 delivered. It comprised nine Timpo soldiers, five of which were well broken But it included some figures I was very keen to acquire, and I wanted others suitable for drastic converting anyhow.
MORTAR
A small but important project was to furnish a second mortar for the infantry. Wanted it to appear to be another Timpo model. The one on the left is constructed out of wood-plastic-metal bits.

STATE OF THE COLLECTION
MGB

FOOTNOTE

AMERICAN WW2 UNIFORMS
 From 'atthefront.com' which manufactures re-enactment uniforms, and have studied original issue clothing.
They have confirmed that shades of green (OD No.7) were later more prevalent, but never khaki. Only some shirts and dress trousers were ever khaki (light sand coloured). Everything else (including accoutrements) were listed as Olive drab, and came in a range of shades from tan to green.

The 1941 Field Jacket, in OD No.3, reproduction.

11 comments:

  1. I've always thought the Timpo are nicer figures, I've never rated Deetail!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hugh. I have very mixed views on the Deetail range. I do like the Saracen-Turks. And I can see the merit in collecting these figures, not least that they belong to the W. Britains company. But the US WW2 range just doesn't work for me. As for the Medievals, I confess to actually preferring the Herald range, also produced by W. Britains, although not made in the UK.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Agreed on the Saracens, I have a soft spot for them!

      H

      Delete
  2. The best thing about the detail range is that it does not suffer from deterioration of the plastic. The Space range is an exception but it is not the same plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true, Q. I have only ever had one Deetail figure which has faltered, the plastic had turned to almost rubber, perhaps someone had previously used a paint stripper on it? Otherwise, they have rarely lost more than an occasional plug to their base, and easily remedied. I hope my efforts will secure the Old Timpo for another sixty years.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Great Armoured Car MGB - what a bargain.
    I like the MP figures in your recent delivery too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT. Yes, I'm very pleased with the Tootsie armoured car, it's a nice model. And yes, strange that Timpo produced a non-active American MP, but pleased they did. Looks good with any vehicle, and as sentries. I have still to paint mine, but plan on two companies, one linked to the USAF.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Your Timpo figures are excellent, they match up perfectly to your research pictures! The Tootsie Toy armoured car looks like it was made to go with them! The mortar you built is a near match to the original, you do have amazing modeling skills Michael! Very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad. I thought you might find that Tootsie M8 of interest. They do occasionally crop up in the UK, I assume they are quite common in the US. I'm very pleased with it, and in such good condition. Probably made in the 1970s? Yes, the scratch built mortar will do the job, no need to seek out an original. Thanks for the support.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Interesting to see the range of colours on the standard original US uniform, helpful for getting the uniform colours correct and varied. Some excellent crew conversions from otherwise broken figures, giving them their fighting chance again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Have just been working on five of those that recently arrived. They are badly broken, and oxidised. But that grants me the right to seriously alter them into an M30 Half-track crew. As a project, I quite enjoy the challenge.
      Michael

      Delete