SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 16 April 2024

Repairing Plastic Toy Soldiers

In my previous post I mentioned acquiring six 1970s Britains white fences and over ninety broken plastic toy soldiers. The cost was £9 which included delivery. For myself, the fences were worth £6 alone, they really do look nice on my green gaming boards. So the broken figures cost £3. 

Decided to launch into a campaign to repair and convert this hoard of figures into something useful. I knew a victory was on the horizon as I only required a handful for success, but many of the figures were very likely to become everlasting casualties.

Well, it has proved an enjoyable project, with twenty-nine figures restored to active service.

Here is the first batch, mainly WW2, but I also acquired two car mechanics, and a smaller scaled farm labourer (now portraying a lad going on a fishing trip). Four US figures have been given ship grey bases to serve on my MTB, and will represent Jones's 'Amphibious Reconnaissance Company (USMC).

                               Mechanics in 1930s indigo blue coveralls, but their haircuts are c.1970

Original state

Next up are those broken cowboys. Heavily oxidised, decided to replace their arms, securing them with steel rods. Primed, painted, and given a coat of yacht varnish, they are now quite robust.

Not expecting too much from this chap, he's fighting his own battle.
Original state

The third batch are medievals. The two 60mm figures will serve as high commanders. Two shields have been left bare, still to decide who they will represent in the 15th century. That extra archer completes a unit of eight. Must home-cast an extra scimitar for the Turk.

Original state

Now this was a bit of fun. There was a broken Airfix olympic shot-putter, he has now enlisted in the German Empire Labour Service (WW2). While the FFL figure will serve as a wagoner.

And here are the remaining figures. Fairly confident most of these will be eventually used. Thirty-eight others were lost or used for spares, but I'm not complaining.


PART TWO
Some time ago I made a French gunboat out of plastic-card, based on an antique tin toy. To be honest, I wasn't that pleased with the result. Decided to scrap it, using the materials elsewhere. However, it has been replaced with a new wood, card, and metal model, and I am much happier with the results. I think it has captured the vintage look.
MGB
REPLIES TO COMMENTS BELOW (UPDATED)
Thanks MJT. The figures were a pleasure to work on, and they allowed me to clear a load of spares too, so it worked on two levels. I wanted the cowboys to be more European but they are somewhat mid-Atlantic. Guess I can use them in either scenario. Yes, that gunboat is a vast improvement on the former, those railings have added much to the character.

Thanks for the morale boost, Donnie. Some projects are a chore but I genuinely enjoyed repairing the plastic figures, and putting the ship together. As I mentioned to MJT, the ornate railings have given the model that tin toy look, which I wanted to recreate (I can't afford the c.1900 originals).

Hello Q. Yes, I have found the same here, the Deetail are overwhelmingly fine, while many of the Charbens, Lone Star, and Crescent plastic figures of the 1960s have oxidised, I think it is due to storage in seasonal environments, such as lofts. I had a delivery box which furnished a number of large copper staples, which produced superb sword blades, drilled into the hands. I am also able to cast axes and scimitars in pewter so I can replace the weak plastic. Never use plastic spears and lances, waste of time painting them, went over to steel rods. Cheers.

Hello Brad. The ability of the Deetail range to be immune to plastic decay is amazing. What I find strange is that some figures, including Airfix, also dating to the 1960-70s, are OK, but others have totally oxidised. I believe extreme changes in temperature must be the issue. Worth noting, some plastic containers left in my garden have oxidised after a couple of years, just like the older toy soldiers, but the same containers inside are still flexible. I believe freezing cold nights and summer heat alters the plastic. (Presently working on a coastal patrol boat for the post-WW2 period.)

Cheers Quinn. I'm still doing house and garden projects but my hobby projects are also scoring, inspired by some great value purchases. Yesterday, I picked up in a charity shop a 1/32 scale vintage car for £4. I already had one of the same but that cost about £10. They make good command vehicles for the old lead toy soldiers or anything pre-WW2. I might also get a few more figures out of the 'broken' box, which recently arrived. By the way, hoping to stage a few small games, including one for Ruritania, and my first for Schleswig-Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. Great work MGB - I really like seeing old toys being restored, especially when they get to be played with again!
    The gun boat is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super work on the restoration front, it's great to see those old warriors repaired and prepared to take to the table again, a real bargain. The gun boat is a cracking looking model, very good work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing your repairs. The saddest thing is seeing how many old plastics don't hold up well to time's ravages. The exceptions are the HK copies that are more resistant although often of less exactness of sculpture, and Britains Detail that are made of a vinyl plastic which is seldom seen broken. I think DSG produces spare weapons. Another option is the hammer flat wire (copper or steel) and file it down on a grinding wheel. For curved blades just curve the wire first. For the plastic ones, as they are silver colored, I add them after painting the rest of the figure and leave them unpainted so there is no issue with paint loss from bendy items.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work with amazing results as usual Michael! It is sad to see the deterioration of some plastic figures, downright frightening for those who have spent a great deal of money on them! Britains Deetail have been a shining star though, I have never had a problem with them! Luckily, the bulk of my plastic collection is Deetail! I do love your gunboat, the railings and guns are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great gunboat Michael looks awesome. Another great haul of items too. Hope all your projects are going okay. Quinn

    ReplyDelete