SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 23 April 2024

SHIP, PLANE, ROWBOAT, FUEL, SOLDIERS, CAR

Well, I think the post title speaks for itself. 

I was aware that my collection had nothing nautical that would work for post-WW2 conflicts. Decided to clear some more wood and card and construct a generic coastal patrol boat. For gaming purposes, the fore gun is allowed to fire four shots per move, and with accuracy. The stern HMG is also allowed four bursts of fire per move. This is a powerful addition in any game.

Next up is another Curtiss tinplate toy plane, to work with my lead toy soldier collection. With help from George S. Mills, picked it up on eBay for the splendid price of £5.70 delivered, and it is in perfect condition, including box and key for the windup mechanism. The RFC markings and British Racing Green paintwork is a real joy to view.  I now have three aircraft, so my British Empire, American, and French armies have been granted an air contingent.

The rowboat is a charity shop find some months ago, but I finally have some fishermen to man it. These were originally old and broken cowboys recently acquired. they look fine for the entire 19th-20th centuries.
A visit to my local collectables shop was worthwhile. Picked up a third Britains petrol pump for £3. This is the orange painted National Benzole Mixture. So I just need the red Esso pump.

In my spares box were three post-WW2 British infantry. Already have a fair number of battalions which are fully complete, so no need for drafting. I decided to recruit a firing section (company) belonging to the RAF Regiment, in their distinctive airforce blue berets. I find it useful to have some 'recognisable' companies in my games.

Finally, another charity shop find. I already had one of these die-cast cars, but it cost about £10. Picked this one up for £4. These very collectable toys are in 1/32 scale and make excellent command vehicles. This latest one is to serve in the Ruritanian Civil War, the first is attached to my American c.1900 army.
MGB
Replies to any kindly commenting will be posted here

Cheers MJT. There does seem to be some nice stuff appearing in the local charity shops lately, it isn't normally this good. I want the patrol boat to have a 'modern' feel to its firepower, otherwise it will merge into earlier periods. But I am planning to have ship actions involve Britains toy guns and matchsticks, and the likely modern opposition will also have access to land based missiles. I'm presently working on my Ruritanian collection, sorting out artillery crews and some interesting auxiliary units.

Cheers Donnie, I haven't spent as much time on painting figures lately, but completing the c1960 patrol boat is something I'm pleased to have sorted. My hobby time will now be directed towards the 19th century armies, particularly the Ruritanian and Schleswig collections. But I would love to stage a naval action involving the dozen or so c1890 gunboats! Just to see them all out would be quite special! That bi-plane is in a different green to the first, much nicer.

Cheers Quinn, Have just ordered some extra lead heads and arms for 19th century collections. Meanwhile, working on Ruritanian figures for the staff car, and some ensign flags for the Schleswig-Danish ships. Plan to stage some small games, involving about fifty figures a side, and a few naval actions too. As much as I like a bargain, it is time to limit my spending!

Hello Brad. The Gunboat weaponry comprises a shaving cream lid, and anything that might construct a gun barrel. The broken HMG was picked up in a charity shop for 25p, and I fixed it to a gun shield in my spares box. My primary thoughts were something that looked post-WW2, and strong enough to handle without too much care. I do love those die-cast cars, so pleased to pick up another at little expense. The Ruritanian staff are coming together but need to cast some arms.... but it has been raining on and off for the last four days! 

4 comments:

  1. More charity shop goodness MGB - the rowboat is a very nice find as is the die-cast car.
    Your scratch built patrol boat is very nice indeed and sounds like a formidable force on the games table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds and all useful for your collection, must admit the tinplate plane is a cracker, lovely little model, the car is a very nice addition too. Kudos on your patrol boat, nice build.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tin plane is delightful Michael and what a great price. The gunboat looks amazing - excellent work as always. Looking forward to see your Ruritanian war on the tabletop 😊 Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the guns on your patrol boat Michael, they are very imposing indeed! Beautiful cars too, they should fit into Ruritania perfectly!

    ReplyDelete