SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 26 June 2024

A GENEROUS GIFT ARRIVED

Tim Gow runs a blog called Megablitz (see links) which I regularly visit for inspiration. This gentleman recently contacted me to find out if I was still seeking more Soviet WW2 figures. Well, I had plans to raise a few small semi-independent units, rather than splitting my larger units, so I said yes. Blow me, the box duly arrived on Wednesday, and this is what it contained.

A large number of AIRFIX figures
Some very useful HING FAT figures for my Guards battalion
Some MARX /BMC figures needing restoration work (looking forward to this!)
Chatting with Tim, he explained..... "The surplus painted HF figures are due to having revisited my Soviet (and North Korean) units after nailing down my WW2 game rules. In my world a company is 6 figures, support platoons usually 2 figs - the guys in your box are the 'offcuts'.  The unpainted figures are just stuff I don't anticipate using - but worry not, I still have a reserve bag with a battalion's worth of Soviets in stock!"

Now time spent carefully contemplating how best to use these welcome figures is always worthwhile, as opposed to my previous tendency to quickly paint up, and then regret my choice. Initial plans include augmenting my understrength Soviet Guards unit, but I also like the idea of some more NKVD troops, Border Guards, or some Marines? 
My thanks to Tim for this very kind contribution to my Soviet WW2 Horde...... it needs to look like a horde to be authentically Soviet.

RURITANIA and DENMARK have CANNON
Have spent some time working on my artillery collection. The two bronze pencil-sharpener pieces mentioned in my last post have been properly altered, removing the metal rubbish over and under the cannon barrels. And their carriages have been given a grey-green paint job. I'm rather pleased with the result, and will use them with both my Ruritanian (1952 Movie) collection, and my Danish 1848 army.
From Prisoner of Zenda, 1952 movie
These are 1864 Danish cannon with rifled steel barrels
The original bronze sharpeners.

SOVIET REINFORCEMENTS ARRIVE
Thanks to Tim's generosity the Soviet WW2 collection has gained a vital augmentation. My pitiful 75th Guards Division (Battalion) of eight figures has increased to two battalions of twelve. The second battalion includes a number of Marx toy soldiers, so I'm thinking a flag recognising such would be fun, or at least one sporting the other fellow with the same name. 

Increased 75th Guards Rifle Division
Will probably redesignate this as the 70th Guards Rifle Division, which occasionally operated with the 75th. The Marx figures are very animated, and had suffered accordingly. Luckily, my 1/35 Soviet spares looked fine, and everything was sorted out. Steel rods were used to repair broken ankles.
Several of my ordinary rifle divisions have also gained recruits. The 150th Division is now sixteen strong.
Two companies of Soviet Marines (late war) have also been attached to my river gunboats.
And I have also gained a light mortar.
MGB
PS. Presently fighting a WW2 war-game, a scene from MOVE EIGHT..... the roads are clogged up!

REPLIES TO FRIENDS

Thanks MJT. I was keeping an eye out for a few cheap Soviet figures, did not expect Tim's box to suddenly appear, it has allowed me to complete the collection.  I am pleased with the early 19th century cannon. I think they look the part!

Thanks Quinn. I'm not really happy using any shielded-guns for my 19th century games, and to use them for the first half of that century is ridiculous!  These two cannon are a welcome addition.

Thank you, Donnie. I don't mind admitting it was Paul Watson donating his surplus/unpainted lead figures which allowed me to raise a traditional lead soldier collection. Then George Mills, and now Tim, have helped with several of my plastic armies. I should also mention Alan Gruber forwarded some old Timpo Arabs. Yes, I agree, the sharpener-cannon has proved to be a worthwhile project. 

Tim, they certainly did hit the spot, clearing several ideas floating in my head for the Soviet collection. I particularly wanted a few marine companies, and the Guards had to be increased. There is enough left over to still raise another Rifle Division, but I am thinking of giving them the earlier white-summer shirts, just for some distinction. (And John's generosity has helped us both!)

Hi Tony. Looking through my posts, I paid £3.33 (including postage) for each of the brass cannon. The guns did require some work but fit nicely with traditional toy soldiers, I think that is good value! 

Cheers Brad. I used most of my hobby time last week to clear about thirty of the figures received from Tim. Although the repair work took some time, the paintwork was actually quite quick and simple. I feel the same about flags with toy soldiers, it adds so much to any photo! Will be moving on to the WW2 game with my next post. 

6 comments:

  1. Great gift from Tim which has turned into some fine looking units.
    The pencil sharpener guns are also looking very nice 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael, the Ruritanian artillery look fabulous was also impressed with the Soviet troops you have made. Well done - Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super box of goodies to get, you just don't get better than wargames generosity, so many nice people in the hobby. Good work on the Russian units and your artillery looks brilliant, you would never know that they started out life as a pencil sharpener!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it hit the spot! Most of the Airfix Sovs were a gift last year from John Bassett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple ofthose pencil sharpener cannon somewhere , your's have come up brilliantly - must give mine a nother look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new Russians have come out beautifully Michael! You have certainly made the most of them, spreading them across a great variety of postings! The mortar crew is wonderful and the Marines work perfectly with your gunboat! As you well know, I'm always in favor of flags on the war game table, and I think it would make an excellent addition to your troops!

    ReplyDelete