SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 13 June 2024

Working on the Naval Collection (Ships, Cannon, Navy Crew)

PADDLE-STEAMER PROJECT

Some time back I started building a fleet of toy ships. My plan being to reproduce the style of toys manufactured during 1870 to 1910. These were originally built in tinplate, while mine would utilise plasticard, or a combination of wood and stiff card.

One of my earlier ships was a reproduction of an American toy. While my efforts captured something of the original, it was not one of by best, and the colour scheme of white trimmed with red didn't help any. Being keen to include a paddle steamer in my collection, decided to reconstitute and repaint my earlier model. I am a lot happier with this, it has something of the early toy look, and also the paddle steamers actually used in the Schleswig War of 1848, and other mid-19th century conflicts.

NAVAL CANNON

 Just arrived are three artillery pieces for £10, including delivery. I knew two were large models.... and they are very large...... but I like them. The Penncraft (a Pennsylvania toy company) naval gun is in perfect condition, and made of brass and iron. It will serve as a powerful garrison or siege cannon. The Spanish-made piece is a whopper, made of brass and wood. I suspect it might still end up in some wargames but more likely guard my DVD collection.... after it has been given a good clean. 

The third is one of those pencil sharpener cannon made out of bronze. I already have one of these and recently found a method to remove the metal rubbish attached to the top of the barrel. The carriage and barrel is actually quite good for mid-19th century wargames, so these can now form a battery.

Penncraft Cannon in service!
64pdr Cannon in real service.

NAVAL GUNNERS
Now I must admit to having over-paid for the following, but I've been keen for some time to acquire a few W. Britains Napoleonic Royal Navy gunners. Considering they are plastic and often found in poor condition, and with moderate paintwork, I've still had to drop out bidding on some previous auctions. However, I picked up the following for a few pence under £20. But it does furnish three gunners, and some of the ACW figures will be useful as German and Danish mounted officers in the Schleswig collection. (Yes, I will add some paint to the naval gunners, a white plastic sword scabbard is unacceptable on parade.)
MGB
PS. I'm still interested in acquiring another three W. Britains naval gunners, with a generous swap or recompense.
PPS. Presently fighting a WW2 war-game, lots of photos to follow soon.

REPLIES TO FRIENDS

Hi MJT. Every time I looked at the original scratch built ship, I just wasn't happy with it. But the reconstituted paddle steamer is a fun toy to utilise in a game. I also noted how both the Americans and European navies experimented with dark grey paint. And there is a reference to the Danish having black paddles on one of their ships. I do think the three cannon were a bargain, and made a point of saluting the eBay seller for the excellent service, all round. I am going to use the RN figures as Danish Navy c.1848.

Thank you, Brad. Three separate items, all with a nautical connection, thought I better make a post of it. I am very pleased with the toy paddle steamer, the original came close to being sent to the breaking yard. I have seen this larger Penncraft gun selling for a lot more than £10. No plans to raise a large naval crew for the 1840s, just a few more will do the job.

Thanks Donnie. The cannon sort of compensated for what I spent on the Naval gunners. While I am very pleased with all three cannon, the Spanish-made does look more appropriate for pre1815 wargaming, if I am honest. Still, it is a lovely collectable, and I do have a small collection of late-19th century Spanish, which have become more of a 'garrison' collection anyhow. So that cannon will get used!

Cheers Quinn. Pleased to report that my two bronze pencil-sharpener cannon have been broken down and then restored, without the rubbish stuff. They now have grey-green carriages that work perfectly for Ruritania (1952 movie), and Danish c1948. As for the two other guns, with naval carriages, I am so pleased I picked them up!

4 comments:

  1. The paddle steamer looks fantastic MGB.
    I like the naval guns - that photo of the real thing is great - and that's a fine selection of new toys to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your paddle-steamer is awesome Michael, the perfect addition to your fleet! Wonderful bargain on those artillery pieces! Congratulations on finding your naval gunners, you don't see those available very often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the paddle steamer, looks great. The guns you purchased are all really good, what a beast the Spanish made one is! Nice buy of the figures, should certainly bolster your forces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant looking gunboat Michael and the walled fortification for the cannon is excellent will look amazing on a table top. Well done !

    ReplyDelete