SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 7 June 2024

SAXONY GUARDS BATTALION c1848

Picked up another eight Timpo French Napoleonic Guardsmen from the collectables shop for £5. Removing the plume, and using Milliput to construct trousers, have completed a full battalion of twelve Saxony Guards c.1848. This German state was involved in the First Schleswig-Holstein War of 1848-50, so I thought it would be interesting to furnish the Guards battalion in their ceremonial uniform. But it is very unlikely the uniform ever saw service in Denmark as it is rather similar to the colours used by the Danish army.

OTHER NEW ADDITIONS
With the arrival of some tin helmets from Irregular Miniatures, have been able to complete the restoration of these eight lead WW1 Highlanders. 
Three spare figures have been added to my WW2 British commander's jeep. I think it makes a nice gaming piece.
Just clearing some broken figures in my spares box, but have gained a vital 4man crew for my WW2 torpedo boat. These US naval figures are wearing blue deck jackets.
Picked up this rather nice die-cast reproduction of a Ford F100 Truck (1956). The scale is 1/36, and this Chinese-made model is sold by various 'car collecting' companies. Now mine has lost its rear hatch, and wing mirrors, so needs a trip to a local garage. Picked it up in a second-hand shop for £1. Have seen the same models being sold for much more. 
MGB

PS. Current View of the Gaming Table
THE BRIDGE AT BRUMMAGEM❊
Careful with the furniture, please.
❊18th century English meaning..... cheap, shoddy, imitation, counterfeit. And having no connection with a film made in 1969.

REPLIES TO FRIENDS
Hi MJT. I have a small army of British WW1 now, some of which are the same lead castings I can remember finding in my Grandmother's garden, formally in service with my late father. I really have no plans to fight WW1 wargames, but still pleased to have the collection. Yes, the dresser has already made its debut, lol. Everything is now ready for the game, as and when I'm in the mood.

Thank you Donnie. I only post once a week, and only if there is something worth recording. I am just this moment throwing the preliminary dice for the Brummagem war-game, and the story is flowing very well........ the scenario is so vital to keeping my attention, and the dice is adding spice to the game!

Thanks Brad. I do seem to be having a good run at clearing projects, but it's time to increase the gaming! I don't feel my 'gunboats' are complete unless there is an official crew to go with them, and my rather basic rules need 3-6 figures. The refugee participation is very much linked to the film which inspired this Wargame, and it has captured something of it...... slightly.

Hi Quinn, I am just recording some notes on the early moves at Brummagem. A member of my family is commanding the Germans, he is normally very lucky with the gaming dice. This game is combining something of the stress and various issues a commander has to face, which is often overlooked in simple point-based wipe-out wargames. 


4 comments:

  1. Some fine additions to your collection MGB. The WW1 restored figures are particularly fine.
    Your table is looking great too - the road clogged with refugees is well done AND you've found a use for that dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Saxons are great, very colourful and the WW1 highlanders are quite superb and some great additions to your collection. The table setting is great, so much to see, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks wonderful Michael! The highlanders and jeep are both excellent, very well done! The torpedo boat and crew look perfect! The refugees add a very poignant touch to your table, which also looks magnificent! Thanks for another great post, I always enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Saxony Guards look stunning Michael well done as usual. The Bridge at Brammugem I am speechless - WOW
    so well done Michael I am sure you must be pleased. Quinn

    ReplyDelete