SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which greatly enhanced several collections.

Sunday 15 September 2024

A GENEROUS GIFT ARRIVES

                                                          A BOX OF TOY SOLDIER

I was having a conversation with Mark from the ManofTin Blog (https://manoftinblogtwo.wordpress.com/2024/09/08/the-cupboards-are-emptying/) concerning his plans to organise and display his collection of toy soldiers. He is presently looking at the possibility of constructing some glass fronted shelving. Another person advised, stay clear of some modern furniture, it is all show with inferior materials. Mark later mentioned, he had a quantity of Airfix WW2 figures that were surplus to his requirements, would I like them? Well, I have been carving up a fair number of Airfix figures for quite a few side projects, I said yes.

Mark only lives in the neighbouring county, and it was a quick postal delivery. Rushing to open the box of toy soldiers (lol), the first job was to do an inventory of the contents.

The box contained thirty-three British Paras, eighteen Desert Rats, fifteen Gurkhas, fourteen US Paras, twelve Africa Corps, and twelve Japanese. Now, he did warn me that many had gun damage (near half). Fortunately, those most interesting to the collection, such as the Gurkhas, were in good condition. I was fascinated to see the latter as these were new to me. I now plan to raise a couple of companies, convert a mortar crew, and also use the LMG figure. As for the others, I'm going to look at what might be achieved with head swaps...... something different, something interesting to paint. I'm tempted to convert the Desert Rats into Indian National Army (Anti British Empire Indians). And I may convert the Japanese into some more 1930s Chinese Nationalists. Lots of ideas to contemplate on.

Thank you, Mark, for your generosity.

                                                           W. BRITAINS ACW GUN

Well pleased with this project. The Britains ACW gun recently picked up for £7.20 is now repaired. Have attached it to another to form my US Light Artillery battery c.1870-1900. )

(The figures are mainly Herald Guardsmen which I converted some time back.)

The missing gun cascabel is replaced. Yes, I also painted the gun, it looks nicer! 

DEETAIL JAPANESE BUGLER

I was gifted this toy soldier on purchasing some others in good condition. As it was missing an arm holding the rifle, decided to use a metal spare arm with a bugle. This gives me seven figures, so I will be seeking out another to complete two companies.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                                                                                                                                                      IDENTIFICATION, help wanted

Would like to know who produced this 54mm ACW mounted officer. No plans to use it, but would welcome some background information. Have found a photo on the internet, perhaps the horse gives us a clue?

MGB

REPLYING TO FRIENDS COMMENTS

Thank you, Hugh. I was hoping you or Brian would give us some insight. As its value is not great, and staff officers can add much to any game, I'm thinking of painting the figure in a blue uniform, with a off-white summer hat. I could use it as a staff officer in several armies. 

Hi Donnie. I know how collectable the Deetail Japanese are. No way I wouldn't seek out a method to utilise the figure, and I remembered seeing a Japanese WW2 bugle somewhere.

Thanks, MJT. It was very kind of Mark to think of me as the means to see these spare figures used in some games. I'm working on some of them at this moment. I really do need to increase my WW2 Chinese army. 

Thank you, Brad. One of my key pleasures in this hobby is seeing what can be done with damaged toy soldiers, and how they could enhance a collection. Can confirm the fourteen US Paras now comprise six with small arms, two heavily converted mortar crew, and a command base of two. The thirty-three British Paras were the most damaged, and least required! However, have still established three small arms, a radio command base of two, and four more still to be designated. (And a load of helmets and water canteens.) The Gurkhas, Africa Corps, and Japanese will prove very useful. 

Thanks Brian. I suspected this Hong Kong figure was probably copied from a British manufacturer. Well, this brown plastic copy of a Timpo solid is now serving with my armed civilians, which are largely Timpo solids and Timpo copies from their ACW range...... an appropriate addition, I think. 

5 comments:

  1. The rider is Hong Kong, carried in generic sets, they were also included in a couple of American style 'playsets', by, I think, Ideal/ITC. Love the bugler - inspired and original!

    H

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super gift to receive, look forward to seeing what you do with them. The gun has turned out really well and the bugler is an inspired piece of converting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely gift from Mark.
    The ACW gun and crew look wonderful MGB, and the bugler conversion is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The guns are marvelous Michael, they always look better in pairs! Your bugler conversion is brilliant and your research pictures are very interesting as usual! I too look forward to seeing what you do with all of those generously donated figures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Further to Hugh's comment, the mounted ACW officer is a copy of the Timpo solid (pre swoppet) ACW cavalry, there were just two poses and both came in either blue or grey plastic to act for both sides. The horse is a copy of Crescent, they had three poses of horse and used the same ones with all of their mounted figures.

    ReplyDelete