SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 19 February 2021

French Foreign Legion, 1930s

Some figures recently received from my friend George Mills included ten Timpo plastic French Foreign Legion figures. The castings were fairly clean of flash, and they took primer and acrylic paints with ease. For protection, some superglue was applied to extended items followed by a coat of yacht varnish. I had to undertake some research to date their portrayal, the pineapple grenades and shirt collar indicated they were 1930s.

For war-game purposes these figures will serve as skirmishers with a generic French army, which in turn will be allied to my Spanish army. This will provide an interesting opposition to either my British or American armies. These figures also form part of thirty-three toy soldiers completed during the last four days.

MGB

(PS. Not posted here, I have also started on the lead French Army figures Paul Watson kindly sent, ten are ready for service but I will upload photos when a few more have been integrated.)






12 comments:

  1. I remember these figures from my childhood , think there was a mounted Officer as well in this range (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting if they did. The plan is to use these to boost up the numbers I can field in a Franco-Spanish army. The W. Britains figures are mainly in WW1 overcoats, mid blue with red trousers, which look very colourful on the wargames table.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Another excellent job Mike. I remember my father going into the loft where he stored his kits and coming down with these figures. You really have done them justice and look forward to seeing them on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great reply, George, I am very pleased if they meet your approval. We will both use them in future games!
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Very much looking forward to this!

      Delete
  3. If you would like some recruits I have some spare figures of these and the Arabs. You are welcome to them. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, that is a very kind offer, if I may, perhaps we can aid each other. I see you are also wargaming in 25mm, I have extensive collections painted and ready, which I hardly use. Could send something useful your way by return?
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Sounds a plan. I will be off to the post office for a weekly foray in a day or so. What is the best way of getting your address?

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Truly classic figures from our younger days! Your painting skills have really brought them to life! Well done Michael! I can't wait to see your next batch of French figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, those French figures Paul Watson sent have come out really nice, have completed about 15 now, just varnished some today. (Presently painting some Lone Star die cast vehicles for WW2.)
      Michael

      Delete
  5. More on the French Foreign Legion to follow.

    ReplyDelete