SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 19 March 2021

A HUGE NUMBER OF LEAD CASTINGS HAVE JUST ARRIVED

Today a box arrived from Paul Watson. This is the largest so far. It comprises 148 toy soldiers, 6 cannon, and three vehicles. The figures are predominantly British redcoats but there are also hospital personnel, West Indian infantry, artillerymen, Arab light horse, and more. Think its best I just record their arrival with some photographs. Tomorrow I will commence the process of restoration and integration. There are some very exiting projects planned!

(Thank you Paul for your sponsorship of this blog, a donation will be sent to a worthy cause.)

MGB







12 comments:

  1. Sorry that the Simonm and Rivollet wagon got broken - promise it was intact when I sent it to you - Serious question - did I send you the 4.7 inch naval gun and if not, do you have room for two in your collection ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hardly in a position to complain Paul, and its all repairable and exciting projects too. Yes, the naval guns could be useful, but I will dismantle the worst conditioned (arrived or already here) as I have on file a photograph of a waggon using the wheels in WW1, and I like the idea of recreating it, camouflaged too.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Can't wait to see the wagon :)

      Two 4.7s packed up, spare artilleryman, a couple more Zenda guards and a couple more 'useful bits'. Get them in the post soonest :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Paul, post as and when it is easy for you, make no inconvenience for yourself, plenty to keep me occupied. Pleased to report the hay waggon, the pencil sharpener ACW cannon, and two figures are just waiting for their varnish to dry. About 110 figures have been paint stripped, just need to work on them with knife and file, and then prime. Good progress over the last few days.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Ooh ! what a great collection of interesting figures , looking forward to seeing more of them .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, I'm excited too but I know it will be quite daunting even with my rapid-painting systems lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Great figures, generous benefactor, filled with potential and lots of fun to come. There are some fascinating figures here and I await with interest what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that true Alan, slightly confused where to start, to be honest. I see so much potential. But I must take care to think it through, that what I convert and paint is useful and appropriate. Its part of my hobby and suspect I like that challenge.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. What a great variety of figures and equipment! I know that you will work wonders with them Michael! I've had a great interest in the West Indian Regiment for a long time and I can't wait to see what you do with those pieces. I have never seen the West Indian drummer before, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad, when Paul mentioned them in an email, I did contemplate their conversion into something to augment my French army. Having seen them, I will respect the castings and aim to match those that have arrived with good paint. Yes, the musician is a nice addition. I believe the officers wore standard British tropical uniforms. My plan is to muster two battalions of twelve.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. This one again confirms what a splendid chap Paul is. Enjoy the 'work' ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Ross, ideas are fun and easy. Next comes the repair and paint work, not so easy going, lol. Yes, Paul's sponsorship has been superb.
      Michael

      Delete