SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 25 March 2021

ARMOURED CAR, FARM WAGGON, CANNON

Several colourful additions just completed. First up, decided to construct an armoured car for my French army. Its made out of plasticard, the officer is a converted lead drummer. I've mentioned before my interest in old tin-plate toys and this model is inspired by one made in France possibly in the 1930s. I was keen to keep that 'toy' look in my reproduction.




The second item is a farm waggon produced by SIMON & RIVOLETTE, a French company, possibly made in the 1930s. This superb item was kindly supplied by blog sponsor Paul Watson, and it really does bring the farm collection to life. I've decided not to secure the front wheels to the main model as I want to utilise it with or without harnessed horses. 



Additional projects included converting a seated German figure into a British driver. The legs had to be reduced to fit the waggon. And the painting/upgrading of a pencil sharpener cannon into something more colourful. I quite like these models, already have the gatling gun and a medieval bombard. This gun will probably serve in my Ruritanian army, the 1952 film shows green Napoleon carriages. MGB



18 comments:

  1. Reduce the legs ?? You - unprincipled BARBRIAN, Sir ! :) I just made the seating area higher with a thickness of wooden lolly stick or two - legs are fine then (and the cries of lead soldiers don't keep you awake at night ... or is that just me ? :D ) BTW LOVE your 'little tank' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Paul, either way would have worked, but the waggon was completed some time ago and varnished, while the figure was going to have its jacket sleeves altered, reduced jacket length/seat, and a new head, so it was quicker to work on the latter and repaint. I will probably do the same with the other, in an American uniform. The heads might form the basis of a German gun crew for that lovely field gun which was linked to the seated figures. Much more useful will be three working German gunners. I am pleased with the toy armoured car, very keen to use it in a game. Those spare drummers with prove very useful for mechanised crew conversions. I tried utilising the painted fusiliers as I thought some simple paintwork would be save time but it just didn't look right, had to paint strip them, but it has exposed so much detail which I will want to include. Love that Confederate limber and crew, will paint strip the grey limber to green, but will leave the figures as they are. Most of the medical crew will also be left alone, and supplemented with others painted in the same manner. About to start on another project!
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Heartless barbarian ;) I'm casting up some seated figures next week - do you want me to drop 4-6 in a box for you ?

      Delete
    3. Paul, thats kind, if I may, that would be useful, I'm not planning to match your own collection, I can't fit more than a handful of waggons/limbers on my table so will keep their number to about eight all told, but I do have a few pre-1940 cars and lorries and would like some seated characters, so would aim to convert them.
      Michael

      Delete
    4. Think I've got some khaki 20s/30s vehicle drivers as well - If I can hunt them out they can join the next box :)

      Delete
    5. Paul, that would be very useful, I want to create a few 1900-1935 commander's cars, they really enhance the table look.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. "What about his legs? He won't need them" (sic)

    The vehicles are charming! Great work as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross, his legs are fine lol. The figure was cast with very long shanks, they were easily reduced a few millimetres, then wire drilled to construct miliput shoes to rest nicely on the foot plate. The angle of the photo is slightly misleading, he lost much more of his backside, and he doesn't need that lol. Yes, that vehicle has worked out well, just had another look and its a project that gave me a lot of pleasure, and looks great next to the French toy soldiers.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Ross - you're just an enabler :D

      Delete
  3. I love your armoured car Michael! It's perfect with your French soldiers. The gloss color is wonderful and the green wheels are excellent! It looks like it just came out of the toy chest in some child's playroom in the 1930's! Your conversions give me inspiration for all of the tat in my broken odds and sods box. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, you have clarified my intentions perfectly. When I embraced gloss varnish for the 54mm armies I was breaking away from my 28mm values. I'm not wargaming history, I'm recreating early wargaming.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Great armoured car - very in-period and I like the colour scheme as well .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, when they made that toy in the 1930s, how could I resist not having something similar, also in red. Admittedly, mine is a darker red, but that helps with showing the French flags.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, Ross also styled it 'charming', and I think that does seem to fit rather well. I'm contemplating a game soon, so many new items could have their inauguration, including this little tank.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. More inspiring work Mike, the collection grows ever stronger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, George. About to return to infantry now, have been paint stripping, cleaning and priming large numbers. Next step is to decide what regiments, detachments, etc.
      Michael

      Delete
  7. See Armoured Vehicles for new additions.

    ReplyDelete