SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 19 March 2021

And Now for Something completely Different!

Just a quick post, before I upload a series of photos relating to a large box received today from Paul Watson. 

During the last few days I decided to take on a few sewing projects. I think you will agree they are quite diverse in nature. The first was three red velvet cushions for the lounge (you weren't expecting that!), the second was another canvas canopy for a converted and upscaled Morestone waggon, the rear wheels are now in the front and some spare larger wheels have been added. The third project was a flag based on one used by the Welsh pirate Bartholomew Roberts during the 1720s. An early edition of the History of Pirates published in 1724 shows a canton, which I thought looked rather nice. Hope its of interest.

MGB






4 comments:

  1. If I was on a trade ship in the 1720's and saw that flag coming toward me, I would be very worried indeed! A great piece of intimidation! The waggons look great and go perfectly with the troops and cannon. My wife is quite the seamstress and she was very impressed with your excellent sewing skills Michael! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your good lady, Brad. I formed a living history group about 25 years ago Eventually, it became necessary for me to make the 18th century uniforms. I found it rather stressful to be honest, but it had to be done to reduce waste of expensive materials, £60+ a metre for English-made melton and superfine wool, and I wanted it correctly fitted on the fifteen members.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Fascinating projects, excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Alan, it was time to take on some sewing jobs if only to reduce the fabric storeroom (bedroom).
      Michael

      Delete