SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 29 July 2021

Ugandan Army (Contemporary)

A few years ago I picked up a box of figures for £5.50 delivered. It contained over 300 plastic miniatures. Some were genuine Airfix, some were Chinese copies, and others were Chinese copies of Chinese copies. The scales varied too. Some were 54mm, others were 50mm, then there was the 48mm, 42mm, and still others were 40mm. Some of these were sent off to Oliver, a relative, to boost his '2nd grade' play collection, his '1st grade' Deetails are shown more respect because of their age. Others were despatched to a charity shop.

So what to do with these figures? The 50mm Germans were converted into a quite nice Ruritanian army. The 42mm were' influenced' by Airfix WW2 Allies, but were now something nondescript, or modern, in their uniforms, helmets, and weaponry. Could they furnish something interesting, and different? 

Here is my contemporary Ugandan army. OK, they aren't 54mm, but I'm hard pressed to record them anywhere else. 

First. Ugandan infantry, trained and often supplied by the British Army. These will be the elite in the army. (The two toy tanks are made of hard plastic, and can actually make battle sound effects. They cost 50p each in a charity shop and are pretty close to scale, just needed a paint job.)




Second, Ugandan military police. You have to love the red helmets!


Third. Ugandan military police, in their distinctive light blue camouflage. (Vehicle cost £1 in a charity shop.)


Fourth. These too are military police, indigo-violet camouflage for added distinction.


Fifth, Ugandan Artillery, using converted infantry. (The shieldless Britains 25pdr gun also came in the box of toy soldiers. Now repaired and altered, I think it does the job nicely.)

Sixth. These figures are more like 50mm in scale, but I needed some 'support' elements. Painted up as Kenyans, several are wearing British-style peaked caps.
MGB

8 comments:

  1. Very cool post Michael! I was not aware of all of these different colored helmets and camo patterns! Very interesting and should make for some very unique scenarios on your game table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad, when I started researching an African army, I naturally drifted to former members of the Old Empire. While British styles are clearly evident, the infantry above are using British DPM camo, many of their auxiliary units seem to be free to choose something quite different?
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Good idea! And the red helmets are winners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim, painting the whole army in just British DPM was going to be a bit dull. I'm pleased to have some very colourful distinctions between the Army and para-military formations, if only to make identification so much easier.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Like them , I've not bothered with WW2/Modern figures so far - but these look interesting .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, for most of my 28mm gaming, and research, I've stayed clear of the 20th century, but in 54mm I'm more open to exploring the 20th and even Modern conflicts. It often leads to me expanding my general knowledge too.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. The figures look wonderful and I love these uniforms! I've stayed away from post-WWII stuff (assuming you don't count science fiction as post-WWII), but I see some real Imagi-nations possibilities here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, pleased to confirm my next post will include the opposition. They comprise five units, totalling 40 figures, completed some time ago. Not too sure if the two support elements will be ready in time, working on them now. After they are finished, I'm planning a spell of gaming, the first will include these figures.
      Michael

      Delete