SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 9 August 2021

VIEWING THE SPARES BOX and NEWLY PAINTED

This weekend I completed seventeen figures, mainly Soviet WW2 soldiers. Decided it was time to inspect the 54mm spares and unpainted, to see just how many castings remained. Not bad, my painting runs have really reduced the boxes. It now stands at 91 metal figures, 27 plastic, and 8 more metal items.


Here are the figures painted yesterday, based today. Ten more Soviet infantry join the collection.

My Grand Budapest Hotel (Zubrowka) collection gained another five partisans. These are converted Airfix Soviets and Commandos.

Paul Watson very kindly donated a W.Britains Premier series German 7.7 gun. The retail/gloss paintwork was a little heavy and some minor pieces were missing. Decided to dismantle and paint strip the model. Photos on the internet made it possible to fabricate the missing items in metal. Here it is repaired and painted.


The old cadet cavalry, possibly Bergen toys, numbered nine. Have converted a broken cavalryman into a tenth figure, serving as a musician. Went for a distinctive uniform with reversed colours and a white bearskin. 
MGB

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Hugh, only cloth caps could capture the civilian image, I think they came out ok.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Love the flag bearer and the partizans as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, it adds so much to a game having colourful flags and variations in morale.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. I must join John and Hugh in their appreciation of your partizans Michael, they are excellent! The gun is perfect, it will be a great addition to your games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad, that gun was a bit fiddly, each piece had to join together in a single move, but definitely worth the effort. No way could I have afforded to have purchased it new!
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Beautiful detailed gun , I like the mounted musician - very creative .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, it is a nice gun, I believe several countries used the German 7.7 gun, but I can see it being used by some of my imagination states eg. Zubrowka and Ruritania too.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Ross, yesterday I sent a young relative a painted 12 strong battalion of plastic guardsmen, some Highland bagpipers, and about twenty unpainted Airfix Napoleonic Highlanders. For my collection, I'm going to raise another battalion of Foot Guards using some of the spare lead figures shown above.
      Michael

      Delete