SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 17 December 2021

ROYAL MARINES BATTALION (Peking Uniform)

Decided to utilise a number of broken lead toy soldiers in my spares box. I didn't really need another British line regiment but the idea of augmenting my naval forces was appealing. The Peking marine's uniform c.1900 has appeared in a number of plates, and there are some photographs too. As I already have a red coated marine battalion having one in blue was a nice addition. With many castings lacking heads, I was able to use some home-cast Scots glengarries, while old lead railings, drilled into the broken gunstocks,  solved the other issue. (My thanks to Paul Watson for kindly sending some of those drafted into this unit.)

MGB





I'm clearly not the first to consider doing this!




8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers MJT, I might still do some tidying up on the figures where my sight failed. But it is a useful addition to any amphibious landings, and no confusing them with the other battalion of marines.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Cracking looking unit , unusual as well .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, when the current table game is complete I must have a wargame involving both Royal Marine battalions.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Very smart unit Michael, and very different too! You already have such a diverse collection of toy soldiers, and this will be an excellent new addition! I can't wait to see them in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad, yes, I would like to see the full naval force in a game. I must get my act together to furnish some naval vessels. I'm looking at an idea to make half-ships, to comprise the bow to bridge, with a funnel. For game purposes, I really see no point in trying to furnish something bigger in 54mm, I just haven't the room.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I'm just pleased to have turned these broken fellows into a viable fighting unit!
      Michael

      Delete