SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 26 January 2022

NEW ADDITIONS TO MY COLLECTION

Lots of work done on those recent arrivals from Paul Watson. First up are three more Royal Navy figures, now attached to my manhandled field gun, they are a perfect match!

My WW2 Home Guard has increased their number from twelve to seventeen, just one more needing to be fully repaired.
Among the wide range of castings were three that are distinctly small. These figures are really 50mm in scale but have a wonderful toy look to them, and perfect for attaching to the Lone Star range of vehicles. As the paintwork was surprisingly good, mixed up some matching paints for any chips, and varnished.
Original condition
Lots of work done on a batch of WW1 figures, will leave these for another post as they require some spares to complete.
Pleased to have augmented my small collection of Dutch WW2 figures. Was able to form another heavy machine gun team, and the all important command base.

Original condition



My British WW2 collection has gained some plastic Airfix figures too. US equipped bazooka team, a Bren gun team for the army, and another for the Military Police, the latter are converted commandos.
MGB

8 comments:

  1. Excellent new additions MGB. The WW1 BEF figures are very nice and the Naval gun team look superb.
    The highlight for me though is the Armoured Car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, the Lone Star armoured cars are still fairly common. They are often listed as 1/32 by sellers but in reality are nearer 1/48 in scale. But thats not an issue when wargaming with traditional toys in 54mm. They also sold them painted sand-coloured, and claimed it was a German vehicle. I've restored one of mine in German camouflage using their same 'liberty'. For my part, I'm pleased to have cleared four odd figures and turned them into very useful additions to my Dutch, I'm now thinking of using some lead damaged bandsmen to raise some Dutch police.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Excellent work once again Michael! Your naval group looks great! The Dutch command base and machine guns are perfect too! I really like the 50mm figures with the armoured car! But the most impressive and fearsome picture to me is your battery of big guns in the background of pictures #5 and #6! They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad, I had a very good condition 4.7 in my collection, having converted another, which was badly damaged, into a useful grey coastal gun. Then Paul turns up with five more in an old cardboard box! It does make you wonder what he has kept for his own (massive) collection, lol. First job was to give them a good clean, to determine the state of the paintwork. The gun mechanisms are mainly working, and the paintwork on many was too good to paint strip, decided to just lightly sand and cover the chipped areas. One, however, is possibly lead, originally painted grey-blue, and damaged. My plan is to totally restore this piece, perhaps replacing the wheels with some that are spoked. Have seen a real 4.7 with such. I will then attach the model to my Franco-Spanish army,
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Just read this laughing. I'm left with two first pattern 4.7 inch guns as I don't have any more oxen to pull any more :) Glad to have been promoted to Admiral Watson in your previous article. Can't wait to see them all out on the field - the enemy don't stand a chance :)

      Delete
    3. Paul, the 'rank' just seemed appropriate to the campaign, and having done some work on the guns, I just had to use them!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. My you have been busy ! , lots of great stuff there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, its been a good run clearing spare figures. Keen still to clear more of them. Hope shortly to start on constructing a Japanese armoured car, based on an actual toy of the 1930s. Then I will move over to converting a steam train and/or making a gunboat..... so many projects!.
      Michael

      Delete