SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 15 February 2022

NEW ADDITIONS (February 15)

Some time back I picked up this 1950s Lone Star Bren Gun Carrier in a job lot (£3.40?). The die-cast model had lost its three crew, much of its paintwork, and one pair of wheels was slipping. But its a nice model and it deserved some restoration.

Drilled out the rivets and secured the broken axil. Paint stripped the model. The original figures were described as 'modern British army'. They might represent WW2 Paras but could also pass as 1950s soldiers. but I wanted something that could operate with my Home Guard. Paul Watson kindly sent some of his own home-cast seated figures. By reducing the legs, then securing the feet again, these were easily converted into British Tommies that fitted the model.

Unfortunately, the drummer conversion, and spare heads, did not work out. Oh well, lose some. Found some better heads for the two seated figures.

Went to work on those old airforce castings recently sent by Paul. The first is a command base for WW1 RNAS and USAF pilots, with a mechanic. The second photo is some Britains Set 240 RAF pilots, I hope they look ok for the 1930s-40s.

At this point, would like to include some photos of re-enactors portraying the early years of the RAF,  kindly sent by George Mills, to help with my paintwork.

BELOW. George is second from the left..... Thanks George!

Some spare Airfix figures have furnished my Soviet Army, 1930-45, with a anti-tank rifle crew. The gun is a scratch-built item. Also included are a few lead extras just completed.


Some interesting artillery figures from Paul arrived with red uniforms. But I was keen to augment my Royal Artillery in blue. Here are the three figures repainted, working a garrison gun.


My Japanese Army 1930-45 have acquired a 14cm coastal gun. Its a combination of a spare artillery barrel, some curtain fittings, and a spray-canister lid.

Sometimes you see a flag or uniform and immediately want it represented in your collection, well here is something different, a horse. Perfect for this restored lead figure.
MGB

16 comments:

  1. Hi Mike - as always the paintwork on these figures is superb! You have captured the slate blue of the uniform perfectly for the RAF castings. Really impressive and many thanks for the inclusion of the photographs, very kind as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its nothing George, thank you for your help, the photos were VERY useful. Will post up more when the plane and Sidcot figures are ready.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. All great stuff as always MGB - I particularly like the Bren Gun Carrier and the Cowboy on his splendid horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, Have checked my notes, it was bought in NOV.2020, so its been in a half-state of repair for quite a while, now I can actually use it. It looks really nice with the lead figures, and also the Lone Star armoured car. Its time to use my 1930-40s figures! It was fun and a morale boost to see the broken horse back in action too, it came very close to the melting pot, but now its part of my 'civilian' rural collection.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. My ! , you have been busy ! , great work there - love your work on the cowboy some hard work went into that restoration .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tony, gave myself a break from decorating, so went to work clearing some items in my spares box. Bare lead has no value to the gaming table!
      Michael

      Delete
  4. The Bren Gun Carrier and crew look much better than new Michael, gorgeous! The coastal gun is so realistic, and the cowboy is a truly amazing restoration! Very well done as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad, I confess in being quite pleased with the BGC. Have placed it next to some Britains WW2 Tommies, made 1930-50, and they work perfectly together! Real old toys, that have a period magic to them.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. That repair and restoration of the horse and rider is beyond impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, its my standard repair system, just more of it on one model. Paul sent me the figure and I hated the idea of scrapping it when I already had that photo of the horse, the perfect candidate to recreate in miniature.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. These are great. I love the universal carrier, always one of my favourite military vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. Seen photographs of some captured vehicles with German markings, but its so iconic of WW2 Empire forces, I will stick with that plan.
      Michael

      Delete
  7. These are absolutely delightful!

    I have 2 of those broken backwards cowboys. I see the bar on repairs has just been raised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Ross, nothing difficult, an accumulation of simple jobs on a single figure. I just wanted to have a model representing the horse in the photo, and then Paul sent me that lead casting..... perfect candidate.
      Michael

      Delete
  8. Excellent work as always Michael, now I have to ask, how did you fill those big holes in the horse' body?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian, I have been using milliput for many years, but I mix it with 3/5 grey, 2/5 yellow. This suits my manner of repairs. You will also find it necessary to somewhat stuff the hole, I use toilet paper. Leave a day, some light sanding. Prime metal and milliput.
      Michael

      Delete