SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 30 March 2022

Scots Guards Completed (And State of my Spares Box)

Just completed a new battalion for my British Victorian Army c1900. Working through my spares box, and with reinforcements kindly furnished by Paul Watson, I was able to muster twelve suitable castings for the Scots Guards. With the arrival of rifle-arms from REPLICA, the restoration could begin. To be honest, I already had this regiment in my collection, but had dispatched the painted herald figures off to a relation, for his budding collection. 


I really have done quite well working through my project list. My spares box has been reduced to about sixty castings, of all sorts. With another thirty others being more than two thirds complete!
MGB
Footnote, can also confirm some very useful work has been made on sorting out an armoured train. Just waiting for the arrival of the armour plating (plasticard)...... and it actually runs on its railway track..... really excited about this project.

8 comments:

  1. More great pics MGB - the armoured train project sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, i assumed converting the Timpo train engine, and also the fuel wagon (which carries the batteries) would close down its ability to run on the tracks. But I think it will continue to work. And any extra weight with the amour has been cancelled out by the removal of other bits. Actually, the reduced engine length seems to make it run better on the tracks than the original, which kept falling off.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Really wonderful figures Mike - looking forward to seeing the train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, just completed the measurements for the armour, ready to cut and fix the plasticard when it arrives. My plan is for the train to be a military green, but Ordnance grey does look good. Only problem, its only typical of the British, although the French adopted something similar by about 1900? The Americans were already using green during the 19th century, and most countries adopted such by 1920, including the Japanese.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. I think on something like this it would be best to go for the most universal colour? Would be fun to track down some figures to function as railway staff? Driver and fireman perhaps?

      Delete
    3. Yes, George, the likelihood is a shade of green, but something that still looks good in a photo, not a drab colour. As it happens, Paul Watson did include three Timpo engine crew, which I will leave alone and keep with the 2nd Train set, BLACK-RED LIVERY. This won't be altered. To be honest, like the tanks, I claim they have a crew of three, but you only see the turret commander. The Armoured trains won't even have one visible crewman. The plasticard arrived yesterday, and I'm working on the project now....... it is a slow process.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. The Guards look great Michael, a true toy soldier classic! The news on the armoured train is very exciting indeed! And the fact that it moves will add so much to your table! I look forward to its debut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad. So true, 'a toy soldier classic'. I had to have this regiment back in the collection, and made by Britains too. The plasticard arrives on Friday, if all is ok, will strive to clear much of the project on Saturday or Sunday.
      Michael

      Delete