SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 10 May 2023

SCHLESWIG WARS, Danish General arrives

In a box of figures recently received was a broken 1960s Timpo Duke of Wellington. Was tempted to restore the figure but with my new Schleswig project underway, seemed daft not to use it here. Replaced the chewed plastic sword and missing scabbard with metal, milliput ornamented the hat.

The red uniform for Danish high ranking officers was abandoned before the 1848 War, but not that long before. As this is a toy soldier collection, I will use it. The print below is dated 1840.  
Original state

MGB

8 comments:

  1. The very model of a modern Major General - he looks the part MGB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, strange how things come together. It arrived in a box of figures which I purchased because it had some Lone Star paratroopers.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. A great find indeed Michael, he fits the bill perfectly! Your excellent paint job makes him a very imposing leader that deservedly stands out on the battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad, it does seem to have worked uncannily well. The project is coming together too, but I will need quite a few cast heads from different suppliers for the Danish Hunters, and the regiments belonging to the lesser German states.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. I do like this new army , very colourful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, I think my interest is linked to the conflict being little known, and relatively small in scale. For me, the earlier Napoleonic Wars are too large, unless you devote your entire wargaming hobby to that period. By the way, only recently viewed your West Point Cadets restoration work. Very nicely done!
      Michael

      Delete
  4. They are all superb Micheal. Well done !!
    Best wishes
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Quinn, going full steam to clear the Schleswig project. Today I received a batch of cast heads which will allow me to complete a fair number of German troops. Will be posting photos shortly.
      Michael

      Delete