SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 28 June 2023

A BOX OF FIGURES ARRIVE, £5 (Part One)

I think this auction win has a lot of potential. It comprised forty-one lead soldiers and two animals. The total cost was only £5, as a family member arranged to pick up the figures on his way home from work.

I appreciate this is a load of damaged toy soldiers, but I can see possibly ten or more high ranking and aide de camp officers being converted from them. With perhaps another ten guards, orderlies, and personality figures. Did I mention the medieval bronze statue for the town square?

The figures are a mixture of home-cast and copies, with a handful of originals. I have already removed twelve as they were indifferent castings, too damaged, or not required, which is fine. They will go in the melting pot. I bought these to provide some interesting command figures for odd collections, and I was expecting losses and some vigorous knife work.


Here is a possible conversion..... a damaged Charbens pre-war circus ringmaster. This will provide a hotel character for my Zubrowka collection (Grand Budapest Hotel).
Here is Mr Gustave, concierge at the GBH, with his new head and bow tie.
Not sure of the date of manufacture but it might be the same as the period portrayed in the movie!
MGB 

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic haul of figures MGB - loads of great repairs/conversions ahead.
    Mr Gustave is looking the part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, have started work on a number of the figures, but awaiting another pack of Milliput to complete them. I also need to order some cast arms. Mr Gustave is pretty well finished, the figure was quite quick to paint.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, will look forward to uploading the painted figure.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. A wonderful purchase Michael with loads of potential! Mr. Gustave already looks the part and you haven't even painted him yet! I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the morale boost, Brad. I can confirm Gustave has been a successful project. I so love that film, would have paid £5 just for that figure.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Some useful stuff in that box - and great work on the Gustave figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tim. this box has some tricky projects, but many are vital towards completing several armies. Nor can I apply my usual system for painting up uniformed battalions, so this will be a slow process.
      Michael

      Delete