SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 5 July 2023

Personalities and Staff Officers

Here are a few new additions to the collection. First up is this W. Britains casting of a Lady riding sidesaddle. It arrived with only a few paint chips, so it required very little restoration. 

My Chinese Nationalist army has finally been approved a commander. The open-fronted overcoat was a popular dress style, it is made of Milliput.



This is my new figure representing Prince Michael of Ruritania. I think it looks the part.


The Grand Budapest Hotel is welcoming several important guests.


My WW1 Barney Tank is having some problems, but this bloke thinks he can sort it out.




My French collection has gained two military servants, here they are helping with the distribution of ammunition.

In wartime, all must do their duty! A WW2 Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS).
MGB
PS. July has seen a break in our weather, but still plenty to do in the garden. The raspberry and blackcurrant crops have been very successful, but could have done better with the redcurrants. It's my fault, I should have cut back the old wood!

12 comments:

  1. It's the year! Redcurrants were disappointing here two, everyone lost shrubs over the winter, the roses have never been better but the Lilies are 50/50; some good, some pathetic, while the irises seem to have benefited from whatever's been going on . . . and it seems to be everyone, certainly round here/that I've spoken to, everything was late too?

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh, I'm still taking the blame for my redcurrants. I have always had a good crop, but It was time to cut away the older wood. Otherwise, your crop will reduce over time. It's the two-three years wood that produces most fruit, not the four-five years old. I reduced my old blackcurrant bushes in March this year, got an extra ten new plants from the cuttings, and a good crop from the original bushes. I will be collecting blackberries from the nearby riverbank in a few weeks time, it looks like a good crop, but it only counts when it's in my freezer, lol. Planted a cherry tree this year, in memory of my late father, the tree is secured to his walking stick for support. Not expecting a crop but it looks healthy, if it fails I can blame my dad. As a child I was brought up on Ribena, have always loved English apples and berries, never liked oranges. Regards.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Fine looking restoration work MGB - the Miliput Great Coat is very good. Did you do a head swap too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT. it was a poor casting, possibly home-cast? Used one of my home-cast heads, and made belts out of Milliput. Always a morale boost to turn something into a useful addition.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross. Many of these converts are part of a box I picked up for £5. They are clearing up some annoying gaps in several collections. I can now field my Chinese army in a game, finally.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Michael, without question you have the best dressed wargame armies that I have ever seen! The Chinese commander is the most dapper of the lot, very well done! The mechanic with spanner is genius, a figure that will always be quite useful! The artillerymen are excellent too, and again very useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad. I wanted the Chinese officer to have something of a warlord look. No excuses, I really should set up a wargame with this collection. I can't take the credit for the mechanic, it was a modern reproduction of a Britains figure, solid cast. But the side hat was a bit poor. So I decided to use its head on the Hotel figure. I then added one of my peaked caps on the mechanic. I think the peaked cap works better than the original, IMHO.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Dear Michael what fantastic work you are doing with these figures! It’s like watching them come to life through your work. Michael of Ruritania is my favourite for obvious reasons, how did you do that great helmet it’s perfect !!!!
    Well done again
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn, I noted in the 1952 Zenda movie that several characters were shown wearing the same helmets as the Guard Cuirassiers of Prussia, later Germany. Fortunately, Dorset Miniatures reproduced many of the old W. Britains figures, including spare heads with the eagle-spike. I ordered a handful for my Ruritania collection. By the way, the 1930s black and white Zenda movie also shows these helmets, but they are worn by (good) Prince Michael's Black Guards, his personal cuirassiers, the Black Guard are not shown in the 1952 film.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. Thank you Michael, your figures are truely inspiring and just a joy to look at. I also agree with comments from the others your wargames and scenery are second to none. They are the best 🙏 thank you again Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Quinn, for the morale boost.
      Michael

      Delete