SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 6 June 2023

A Day Out brings More Toy Soldiers

Today I had to visit my dentist, again, but I did return home with twenty-two toy soldiers! Visiting a local collectables shop, the owner kindly brought out of his storeroom a box of soldiers. It really was a mixed parcel. All periods, all makes, broken and fine, plastic and metal. But having the potential of filling quite a few gaps in several military units, etc. Here is what I selected out of his box.

First up are the metal castings. I can see some mounted officers for my Schleswig project.

And here are the plastic figures. That second battalion of French legionnaires is near complete. I have been keen to recruit a larger unit of old Timpo GIs, and I now have a mortar team, too. Do I really need Napoleon?
I just wasn't planning to spend any money today but the above figures cost £16. I believe this is their going value, but being able to 'pick and mix' has made this acquisition peculiarly useful.
MGB

9 comments:

  1. It is something else to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Q. I think the rummaging and contemplation on how they would integrate, and be repaired/repainted are my main pleasures.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Some great finds there Michael! Is there a maker's mark on the mortar? The Arab, Legionnaires, and the machine gunners are all very interesting pieces! I bet you'll put them to good use shortly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad, no maker's mark, just 'England' on the mortar, but it is exactly the same design as others confirmed as plastic 1960s Timpo. And which is the same model as their 1950s metal GI mortar. Some restoration on the legionnaires and the HMG figures is required, but all are viable.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Nice haul MGB - the crouching figure with the pigeons(?) is very unusual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, MJT. As you know, its part of the Timpo mortar team. Perhaps I should be more original, and paint them up as white doves. Just back from the shop, went there with twenty unwanted 25mm sci-fi figures, I painted some years ago. Swapped them for sixteen 54mm figures. Another very mixed haul, some needing repair work, but still useful.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. Definitely should be Carrier Pigeons - he just needs a wicker basket

      Delete
  4. Some nice figures there , a good find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genuinely useful, Tony. Lots of interesting items for different projects/armies. Have started on the restoration work today.
      Michael

      Delete