SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 5 June 2023

The King of Denmark arrives (Schleswig Wars)

This figure has a noble service record in my collection. He was previously ruler of Ruritania, and then a high ranking officer in my Spanish army. When I discovered it could be repainted to represent a Danish officer, I went to work. (Generals had the white-red sash, I will later change it to pale blue, for the King.)


Having already raised the Ribe Militia (see previous Schleswig posts), it was interesting to find that the town also had a corps of jaeger. With four figures going spare, thought this unit could be of service. The 1850s Danish rifles came with both long and short barrels, but the former had a swivel bayonet and, for all appearances, required no alteration from the muzzleloading muskets. Took three hours from priming to conclude with a coat of varnish this morning.
  

MGB

4 comments:

  1. That is one very versatile figure Michael! The jaegers look great and your references are wonderful as usual! All very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad, I'm rather pleased with the Danish militia, a nice contrast to the regulars in red.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Micheal you have done such wonders with this figure! This one is my favourite, looks stunning as King of Denmark. Very well done! Best Wishes - Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Quinn, what has come as a pleasant surprise is that so many figures in other collections were either surplus or of little interest to me, but were perfect as interesting/useful additions to this Schleswig project.
      Michael

      Delete