SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 7 July 2023

AUCTION WIN, French Zouaves arrive

I'm quite pleased with this auction win which arrived today. Have been wanting to increase my Zouaves since I acquired some French colonial cavalry. These will require some work to restore, but nothing like as fiddly as an earlier project involving Zouaves, which had smashed-up legs and missing bases (see light blue figures below).


A fair price, this box cost £10.50, including delivery. Combined with some others, I'm planning on two small battalions of nine, and a detached company of four figures.
POSSIBLE PLAN
MGB

6 comments:

  1. Another excellent bargain Michael! I love the Zouave figures and their uniforms, just like Queen Victoria. She was so impressed by the French Zouaves during the Crimean War, that she had the West India Regiment change their uniform to a Zouave one! This eventually lead to set #19 for Britains, one of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange you mention the West India Regiment, Brad. I was thinking how distinctive it would look to see the Zouaves in a game against their British counterparts, I have two battalions. That's a plan! By the way, the 1st Battalion WIR was partly formed from the King's Black Pioneers, Dragoons, and Artificers, and were originally classified as a Loyalist unit in the American Revolution, they were recruited in South Carolina, 1780.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. They will be nicely transformed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confidence, Q. I am quite excited at restoring them!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. That charging figure is a classic , looking forward to seeing them restored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree, Tony. It is a W. Britains classic. I might start on them today. The old paint is not too heavy, so no loss of detail. It could serve as a primer.
      Michael

      Delete