SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Friday 14 July 2023

AUCTION WIN, Johillco Howitzers

Several years ago I picked up a couple of die-cast Johillco? howitzers quite cheaply, as they were missing their wheels. These toys have a splendid c.1900 look to them,  which I was keen to include in my 54mm collection. Restored, they have also proved very useful to my gaming, and I have been keen to obtain some more.

In a recent auction I picked up another five, and a spare barrel. Unfortunately, only two of these are in full working order, the others are broken or with missing parts. I know these guns aren't rare, and were probably made as penny toys, but I like them! I will keep the two working models as they are, with their original paint, but will go to work converting the others and attach them to various armies. These guns came in two designs, one having a shield. Total cost was £10.

Here are my original two, with their replacement wheels.
Here are some historical artillery pieces which I think look quite similar.
FRENCH WW1
JAPANESE WW2
BRITISH COLONIAL
MGB

6 comments:

  1. Those are very nice looking guns MGB - great restoration work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, it just seems right to use these old toy guns with my old lead figures!
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful bargain Michael, I love the "toy look" of these beautiful guns! Your restorations are perfect, it's as if you recreated the period photos of the French in miniature! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, I used some 28mm Napoleonic wheels, about the same size as the originals. Presently contemplating how to use the new batch which has just arrived.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Very cute models and you have done a good job repairing them .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, Yes, they are cute toys. I suspect they would work with your 40mm figures too!
      Michael

      Delete