SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Tuesday 18 July 2023

AUCTION WIN, an old French cannon?

Just arrived is this box of old lead toys. Must admit, it was the broken gun which caught my eye. I am suspecting it is a French-made piece, but would welcome any further information on its manufacturer, or its portrayal. I intend to use it with my French and Danish 19th century armies. Total cost was £7.50. The seller kindly threw in a useful Deetail rearing horse.


MGB
ps. In another auction I picked up a badly broken W. Britains 1263 field gun. It cost £2 plus £3.20 for postage. I know this is expensive but good cart wheels would have cost something similar new, and I plan to convert the broken gun carriage into a naval deck gun. The seller mentioned it was his as a child, he is now sixty-eight years old.

4 comments:

  1. More great pieces Michael! It looks like an SR cannon, which stands for Simon Rivollet from France. Just a guess, but it does look familiar. I really like the civilian figures, they will be excellent additions to your gaming background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, that is my view too. Although I cannot find an example of the gun, it has that scrollwork so often seen on Simon et Rivollett castings. It really does look very French. I am going to paint it entirely black, representing an iron garrison gun.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Nice little haul MGB. Like Brad I think the civilians are very nice too - is it easy to get replacement arms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, yes, you can still get spares from Dorset Toy Soldiers, and Langley Toy Soldiers. Not sure about Replica Metal Soldiers, Andrew seems to have gone quiet. Fortunately, I have created my own mould for open-handed right arms. Daft thing is, should have also done one for the left, more useful for French and American military. Stopped making new moulds now.
      Michael

      Delete