SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 19 July 2023

PAINTED ZOUAVES and TIRAILLEURS

Pleased to have completed two small battalions of French colonial troops. These were originally broken W. Britains figures I was fortunate enough to pick up quite cheaply. Decided it was best to paint strip, Milliput any holes, replace the broken rifles, and prime.

First up are some c.1860 Zouaves, at least one battalion initially wore green turbans. The ensign was a spare charging figure needing a purpose.

Original condition.

The second unit is an Algerian Tirailleur battalion in their distinctive sky-blue uniform. These are c.1900. One of the figures was missing its head but I was able to muster something similar in my spares box, decided to also cut away an arm and replace it with another to hold a flag.
MGB

4 comments:

  1. Very colourful regiments and active poses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Tony. I think my French Army collection is pretty well complete now. But there are about 30 Schleswig War figures that are painted, but needing heads to complete.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Wonderful restorations/conversions Michael! The green turbans are new to me and they are very beautiful! And of course, I really appreciate your standard bearers, they finish off your units perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad. I think the white turbans look better, but the green is something different and not widely known. Yes, the flags add so much, Just found some planks of wood in the garage, leftovers to a cast iron bench I restored several years ago. It's a shame not to use this hardwood in a project! Today I completed the first item in this new project, using the fine outdoors weather.
      Michael

      Delete