SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Saturday 22 July 2023

PAINTED ARTILLERY PIECES

Working on a batch of Johillco die-cast howitzers. First up are a pair of French guns in their early WW1 grey-blue paint scheme. Had to construct the rear part of the carriage on one of the guns, using Milliput and plasticard.


This howitzer had its original wheels removed to complete the above project, but I had two large wheels in my spares box, and I think this model looks better for it. The rear of the carriage was also broken but was able to replace the poor repair work with something much more secure. The gun will serve with my German states army.
This W. Britains gun, kindly donated by George Mills, had its original brown carriage and grey wheels. I know collectors prefer the original look but I wanted the gun to have historical paintwork. This gun can now serve with either my United States or French 19th century armies. 
Finally, two more Johillco howitzers. Both in good working order, have decided to keep them as they are,  They have survived almost a century, and I rather like the metallic lilac paintwork. I guess that somewhat contradicts the former comment, oh well.
MGB

7 comments:

  1. The WWI Johillco howitzers are awesome Michael, they look just right! The last two with their metallic paint remind us that they are toys and appeal to the child in all of us, I think that they look great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, I think I've taken the correct path towards restoration, improving the collection, and preservation.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Nice to see the guns on parade Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers George. I do think the green 12pdr looks elegant on the table.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Fantastic collection of Guns MGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers MJT. I know some gamers would look in disdain at these old Johillco toys but I like their design, and their age only adds to their appeal.
      Michael

      Delete