SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 2 August 2023

BIG GUN ARTILLERY

Finally got round to sorting out this artillery piece. I started restoration work in April 2021, but unable to find a barrel which fitted the magazine hole, all work on this project went dormant. Recently, I found a furniture stain pen which had gone somewhat dry. Not only was the thick pen perfect for my plans, but the nib could be reversed and used as an inner sheath to secure the new barrel to the original gun magazine. The original W. Britains Howitzer had a shorter barrel but I wanted this piece to have a 'super siege gun' classification in my games. Also, too many parts were missing/broken to warrant an authentic Britains restoration.

Now this gun has some real history. It was a toy originally played with by J. G. Mileham, who was born in 1912. He later became a colonel of the 16th Regiment of foot, serving during WW2. I picked up his very broken toy for £5.50 delivered, and it is with pride that it now serves in my own 'little wars'.  I have given an account of its origin under the base, and have informed his descendant.  

Original delivery.......
MGB
PS. A reply from Robert Mileham, sculptor, son of J.G., and grandson of Harry Mileham, artist 1873-1957.

'Dear Michael, Thank you for letting me know. Yes he was my father. I am so glad it is being appreciated and back in service! I too was a soldier and played with these two, cannon and gun although they never really worked. I think the gun took ‘caps’, small charges of gunpowder to make a cracking sound. We had children’s cap guns (revolvers) in those days!
Thank you for your kind words about my work.'

10 comments:

  1. Great conversion and back story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, I was determined it should be 'used' again, and I know it will make an impression. It has just become my favourite artillery piece, not least because of its story.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Very nice work MGB and what a great history this toy has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT. When I switched over from wargame figures to gaming with toy soldiers, it was because of the nostalgia and magic that comes with the latter. Now looking forward to using it in a wargame.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. A brilliant conversion Michael and it is so very impressive on your table! Its provenance is amazing and makes for a wonderful tribute to the previous owner! Very well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad. Only problem is, I regret not knowing more about some of the other older items in the collection, lol.

      Delete
  4. I'll be looking forward to the wargame rules for it! It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Q. I can confirm that my simplistic rules have already allowed a hit on a target to inflict potentially three casualties, I normally only take one. But I intend to restrict firing to one shot every two, or perhaps three moves.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. WOW that’s an amazing howitzer. Fantastic effort as usual Michael!
    Best wishes - Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Quinn, it warranted some effort, and it will return it with interest, I'm sure.
      Michael

      Delete