SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which greatly enhanced several collections.

Saturday 5 August 2023

MORE GUNBOAT DIPLOMACY

My fleet of gunboats continues to increase with this latest addition. Looking at my collection, eight are renditions of original tin toys made during the period 1860-1910. I have also completed two for my Soviet WW2 collection. I now wanted something more suitable to cover the colonial powers during 1910-1950, including the Americans and the Japanese.

This ship is not based on any particular vessel, or original toy. It is meant to be generic, and not too heavily armed. I think it will do the job. All my vessels have a socket for changing the flag.

I'm not really a fan of mixing scales in a game (with the exception of aircraft participation). But in 54mm we have to make some accommodation. I prefer to reduce the overall size of major objects but still include reminders of the 50-54mm scale, such as windows, seated figures, etc. This way, it has less impact on the eye. Will probably have to give up on building an aircraft carrier, possibly, lol.

MGB

6 comments:

  1. A beautifully generic vessel Michael! Perfect for any "gunboat diplomacy" scenario! Especially with the changeable flag option, brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, I doubt it cost £1 to launch, and mainly on paint. But it adds so much to the general appearance of the tabletop game.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Nice ! , you have to 'fudge' the scales when using 54mm I think - if it looks right - it is right !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony. It's what drew me to the Lone Star 'Modern Army' range. The vehicles were probably about 1/40 in scale, but the seated figures gave the impression it was larger, as did their heavy weapons. And they were designed to work with their range of 1950s soldiers, which were small 1/32. It was a very clever idea.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Wonderful stuff! 'Cartoon' scale is the way to go for this sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tim. In my childhood I loved looking at photos of medieval books showing sieges etc, I now realise that they followed this rule. A Saracen bowman would poke out his head from a window in a tower, but only the window was in scale, the tower was narrow, totally out of scale. But it worked!
      (I hope this makes sense, lol.)
      Michael

      Delete