SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Sunday 13 August 2023

Colonel Mileham's Toy Gun

As a follow-on to my post on the restoration of a rather large toy artillery piece (see link Mileham), I had an interesting chat with another member of the Mileham family.


Patrick Mileham is another son of Colonel J.G.Mileham. He is also the grandson of the famous artist Harry Mileham. We have now exchanged quite a few emails, sharing our interest in researching British auxiliary troops, typically styled Volunteers, and Yeomanry. However, I thought I would just mention this initial comment, for the interest of those visiting this wargaming blog.

"I have memories of militaria, toy soldiers, and wooden bricks in our grandfather Harry's house in the 1950s. I can recall being told about the Crimean War, by him. He had acquired CV Wedgwood's book The Reason WhyI can certainly remember many hours of embarking the army on toy shipping, presumably artillery as well. John was enthused about joining the Army in c1931, as he was a keen member of the oxford UOTC Gunner Section, but plumped for the infantry, including between 1936-1946 seconded to the King's African Rifles, with active service in Abyssinia, and in the latter months, Burma. Had he not made some of those choices, he wouldn't have met my Mother in Kenya."

At this point, I must mention that Patrick is a respected writer and historian. He also served in the Army 1963-92. Here is just a few of his works.

The Scottish Regiments, 1633-1996

Wellington College, the first 150 years

Military Ethics for the Expeditionary Era

Before concluding, here are some examples of Harry Mileham's paintings. The last one shows a child surrounded by his family. That is Colonel J.G. Mileham, that played with the artillery piece now in my collection. The Mileham's certainly have a record of service to the British people, defending our land, and enhancing our culture and identity.


MGB

5 comments:

  1. There is something incredibly special about owning objects and artefacts like this Mike - what a wonderful story. The art work is spectacular - I will be sure to seek out some of the books you mention in the post. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. That is my view too. What an interesting family. If I had more funds I would commission Robert to produce a sculpture of some kind. I visited his website and marvelled at his ability to capture movement and life in such 'solid' materials.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. When art is done well and captures its subject effortlessly then there is a real joy in owning it.

      Delete
  2. This artillery piece and its background just continues to become more significant with each of your posts Michael! I can't tell you how many times I have purchased old toy soldiers and have found a note enclosed from the seller, expressing their gratitude for extending the legacy of their father's cherished possession! Your story and these notes have given me a new perspective on my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, pleased you feel the same. It's magical to think just how many of these toys are approaching a century's worth of play. They are practically antiques. And their previous owners lived during a particularly turbulent century, and may have been later involved in history-changing events. I know some might question my 'total restoration', but it's worth remembering that HMS Victory has had nearly all it's woodwork replaced, and many of England's cathedrals have received new stonework as some carvings have crumbled, but they remain magical. Cheers Brad.
      Michael

      Delete