SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 17 August 2023

SOVIET JEEP completed yesterday

I picked up this badly damaged Dinky jeep in May, for £2.50. Later, I purchased a Corgi Thwaites Dumper, in a similar condition, for £2. The latter furnished the jeep with a steering wheel, potential driver, and the rear spare wheel, all vital to restoring the jeep. Plasticard furnished a replacement dashboard and a folded down windscreen. Some wire replaced the aerial, and I luckily had a petrol can to replace the missing one.

Decided to issue this jeep to my Soviet army, serving as a staff car. The United States lend-lease system  (to be paid for later, if not returned) provided 50,000 to the Soviets during WW2.

Used a spare plastic Foot Guardsman to construct a seated NKVD colonel.
Here it is repainted, and with a coat of varnish for added protection.
The crew are painted and fixed. I don't like too many loose figures so typically glue them, a small dice placed next to the vehicle can record any hits.
MGB

14 comments:

  1. A very nice restoration MGB - I wasn't aware that the Soviets used Jeeps. They probably still use some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT. I thought the Americans might have sent Willy jeeps but did not think it numbered 50,000! The Soviets later developed their own version, in probably greater numbers. Yes, wouldn't be surprised if old jeeps became farm vehicles. By the way, we paid off our final WW2 lend-lease bill/instalment/interest, £43 Million, to the United States in 2006. A lesser sum was also settled with Canada. The debts of Germany and others were largely written off by the UK government, very strange.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, I needed something to better represent my Soviet Command.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Aha, hello Michael, I can comment again on your blog (changed back to old iPad).
    The last few blog posts have been as ever a wonderful mix of spirited and colourful conversions.
    I especially enjoyed the Mileham gun backstory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark. I thought the Mileham backstory would appeal to you when I was putting the post together. I don't mind admitting, that artillery piece is something I really value in my collection. I guess it's another facet to the wargaming hobby if we recognise old toys may have had some interesting previous owners, and we are able to record such..
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Amazing difference between the end result and starting point. You really have given that jeep a new "lease" on life! (I'll show myself out :D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. And that is rather witty!
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Another amazing restoration Michael! Your painting and attention to details really brings the whole thing to life and your figures are perfect! Excellent work once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad. I think the NKVD uniform adds a lot to the figures. Still got a fair number of projects to complete this season, but I am looking forward to gaming with these new toys.
      Michael

      Delete
  6. Lovely the lend-lease jeep Mike - my Grandfather handed over the first American build Willy's jeep to the soviets. He drove it up through Syria and Persia. Apparently, upon receiving it, the Soviet soldiers drove it round and round in circles - utterly mesmerised by the technology no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, and a very interesting reply. I did wonder how they were delivered. The Arctic sea route did not seem feasible for 50,000 jeeps.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. I'll have a look through the pictures I have from his time in the Middle East - anything interesting I'll share with you.

      Delete
    3. Yes, do that George. I'm presently working on my WW2 Americans, they too have been issued a couple of jeeps.
      Michael

      Delete