SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Thursday 10 August 2023

NEW ADDITIONS (that 'Mixed Box' keeps on delivering)

A few months ago I picked up a Mixed Box of home-cast and original lead figures for the silly price of £5, we saved on postage by a member of my family picking them up after work. Well, it keeps on delivering! 

My German states have acquired a command base. They will be visiting Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein Wars) in the near future.


My Royal Artillery for colonial service has just gained a new recruit.



The Post Office Volunteers have also gained a recruit, seen here carrying a reel of wire. The telephone pole is also a new addition, made up of metal and wood bits.



The German State of Reuss has a unit of eight figures. Six were surplus British infantry which I decided to paint strip. The ensign is a plastic Britains guardsman. The officer came from the Mixed Box. 


My WW2 Dutch have their second military policeman (Royal Marechausee). This one is a cavalryman, or cyclist, with their distinctive fur hat.

Even my Lone Star Bren Gun Carriers have gained a new recruit from the Mixed Box.
 

Finally, my collection of WW1 British have gained two more artillerymen. This has allowed me to form two field gun crews, the other four figures are original W. Britains in fine condition. 

POSTSCRIPT. The following are some plastic figures that have been recently converted, but were not part of the Mixed Box. Firstly, a detachment (4) of French Marines in their Tonkin 1880 dark blue uniform. And an extra Soviet naval officer for their gunboats. Home-cast metal extras drilled into the plastic will ensure good service.
MGB

8 comments:

  1. Great work restoring and reassigning the casualties of rough play MGB! They all look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MJT. I do enjoy restoring something that was cheap and damaged into something which looks nice.. Appreciate the support.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. That box certainly does go on delivering Michael! It's so amazing to see your restoration/conversion results when we get to see the condition of the original figures! You are a true artist, very well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad. When the box first arrived I knew half would have a good chance of being useful to the collection. Actually, only six are likely to be broken up for spares or put in the melting pot. The other thirty-seven are being well used or converted. A real success!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. It is a joy to see the battered and mangled old figures turned into something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Q. I like to record the original state so as to keep my resolve to clear more projects. And it's important that everything is done on a strict budget, too. That's why I often mention the cost. Mind you, had a failure a few years back. Bought twelve plastic lancers for about £17. But they were far too big, didn't like them, gave them away to some local kid. Win some, lose some.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. These transformations are mind blowing. I for one would love to see a video (one of those high-speed, project build videos) of the whole process. I realize, for some people, how you go about the restoration is probably obvious.,but it seems like magic to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. I must confess much of it is a repetitive process of filing away at lead, or cutting away plastic. For me, the real incentive is fear I have bought something that has failed to deliver. lol. I have just picked up a fair number of vehicles, busy making suitable crew to man them. Will try to take a few more photos on route, in case it helps.
      Michael

      Delete