SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Monday 28 August 2023

NEW SHIP, NEW ARMOURED CAR, NEW CANNON

A number of completed projects joined the collection on Sunday. First up is my rendition of a German-made toy gunboat. I'm thinking of adding a brass railing to the model at a later date. Wasn't too excited by the original guns so constructed some based on other toys. The original is described as a torpedo boat.

Partly inspired by, photo reduced and severely altered to respect copyright.

One of the recently acquired Bren Gun Carriers has been revamped. It has also received a crew of three. These were badly oxidised 1960s figures, but still having value in a seated role. They represent the 28th New Zealand Battalion. Ethnic Maori warriors, they gained a reputation befitting their heritage. They served in the Desert War, Crete, and Italy.
Legs restored.

Finally, have repaired this 'probable' Simon et Rivollett cannon. The carriage trail has been restored and appropriate wheels issued. I will use it as an all-metal garrison gun in the Schleswig Wars.

MGB

4 comments:

  1. Was your gunboat a scratch build or a conversion? Nice work anyway MGB. A brass rail would look very suitable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJT, it's one of my scratch built toys, inspired by the old toy. Mine is made of wood, card, plastic. The original (photo no.3) was probably tin? Have to make my own, the originals would cost a fortune, and I would be frightened to use them even if I had the funds.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Excellent work as usual Michael! Your gunboat looks great and I too think that a brass rail would look right at home! Your Maori crew is so unique, as are so many of your pieces! And last, but certainly not least, your cannon looks like a fine old antique in its black and gold paint! All very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, I am pleased to have sorted out these three diverse projects. Yes, I wanted the gun to have that antique look, having seen some metal frame and wheeled pieces that were used as fortress artillery.
      Michael

      Delete