SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Wednesday 23 August 2023

PANTHER on the PROWL (in my garden)

I can't claim any credit for this post. Spotted this 1/35 German tank on Ebay. I offered £16, keen to have it in my collection, and unwilling to purchase a new model and then have to construct and paint it. That would have cost about £16. Not surprisingly, the seller declined. So I put a bid in. Well, I was the only bidder, and it arrived at the cost of £12.50. I'm no expert on German tanks but I think it's worth every penny. It is very nicely put together, and spray painted. Actually, it did arrive with it's gun barrel snapped. Further inspection lead me to the conclusion the barrel was far too thin and flimsy for wargaming. It was going to break sooner or later. Fortunately, a very strong piece of wood sorted out that issue, and metal rods have secured it to the turret and the gun ferrule in a vastly superior way.

Concerning the German tank commander, this was a gift from my friend, George Mills. I believe it is a Del Prado figure. Unsure how or when I might use it, I just left it in my spares box. That issue has now been sorted!

My games don't require more than one Panther tank, attrition is my method of knocking it out. That is, if you are able. It really is a nice counterpart to my Soviet T34.

MGB

9 comments:

  1. Great model MGB; Should be a good match for the T34, though he really ought to watch out for that giant squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers MJT. It really is quite wild out there, with slow worms, smooth newts, sparrow hawks, grey tree rats, rabbits, and common lizards, and they aren't statues, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Another bargain Michael, and a wonderful job of repairing the gun barrel! It looks great outside with all of the flora and fauna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad, I am a lot happier with the new gun barrel. The original was fine for a cased model, but with handling would have broken. I want nothing in the collection that won't last. Worked all yesterday in the garden, including cutting the grass, hence the photos.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Lovely big cat! If the panther doesn't break down on the way to the battle or get mired in a mine field like the approach to Cherkasskoye, the T-34 is in for some hurting I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John. Although I have a good geo-political knowledge of history, including WW2, I do not possess any real understanding of WW2 equipment. My actual period of study is the 1700s!
      I decided to visit 'militaryhistory.com' and was fascinated to read how the two tanks compared. Of equal interest was to view the partisan comments below, declaring which one was better, great fun! However, I fear both sides would find my simplistic rules at best disturbing, if not irritating, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Lovely model Mike - glad the figure is of use - works really well for the late war tank crew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George, I think it works extremely well with this model, and I do like my armoured vehicles to have figures fully integrated/attached to them.. It all adds to the table display. Have actually glued the figure on.
      Michael

      Delete