SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which allowed me to complete another five or six military units, serving in several collections.

Sunday 20 August 2023

VISITING A LOCAL SHOP, more acquisitions!

Last week I visited a local collectables shop. Out came the shopkeeper with three trays of recently acquired goodies. Now most of these were out of scale, but others were very acceptable.

This Lone Star Bren Gun Carrier had been very nicely repainted. It included two cut down figures in plastic. £5. Not sure about the camouflage, the closest I could find is Empire troops in the Desert Campaign, so will probably reassign it. The paintwork and finish is very nice, very clean. I think the previous owner had paint stripped it.

This Welly (Chinese-made) die-cast is a Mercedes-Benz 1936 500K, in a 1/36 scale. Picked it up for 50p! 

This Dinky jeep (left) had only a few chips on its khaki paintwork, and original transfers. I will construct some crew and replace the missing spare wheel at the back. It cost £5. It will join my WW2 American army.

This W. Britains jeep (right) was missing a tyre, two Deetail crew, a spare wheel, and a heavy machine gun. It also had a broken bumper. But at £3, I don't mind. Actually, I had already decided not to collect Deetail US figures, preferring to raise a WW2 American army using other makes. Will keep the original paint, and make general repairs. But I will get rid of the exaggerated suspension which adds nothing to its service and causes the front axil to repeatedly brake away. This dark-green jeep will then be drafted into my British WW2 army.

The W. Britains 25pdr above had lost much of its paintwork, and the barrel spring has only a rather poor six foot range for matchsticks. Cost £3. Fine, I only wanted the wheels. Footnote, the gun is proving very useful. It will be converted into a post-1900 naval gun, while the trail will furnish a carriage for a pre-1870 deck gun....... no waste here!

The figures below cost £5, comprising four odds, and four halflings. The latter were no doubt used to man vehicles. I will do the same, but restore their legs.


THE FOLLOWING DAY 
Pleased with the above additions, I again visited the shop and purchased some more items. Two Lone Star Bren Gun Carriers joined the collection. These were showing signs of wear, their tow bars were missing, and the paintwork was in a poor state. My plan is to paint strip these, and restore their tow bars. I also picked up four more figures for converting. Cost was £6 plus £2 for the figures.
MGB

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers MJT. I am pleased with the haul. Have been working on the two jeeps and three Bren gun carriers. The 'halflings' have also furnished some very acceptable crew. OK, it did total £30, so I better get something worthwhile out of it all, or I won't be able to sleep at night, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your shopping trips Michael, you came up with some wonderful bargains! The Mercedes is gorgeous and the armoured vehicles will work perfectly on your table! I look forward to seeing your vastly improved final versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brad. I must admit, I do like collecting the 1/30s scaled sports cars. Should really have some more mundane transport. Still, they certainly add colour to any street scene. Nice that this one is German, too. Very lucky with this collection, two cars at 50p each, daft!
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Your lucky to have a local supply of figures , I have a 'house clearance' type shop nearby which occasionally has the odd figure or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, the shop is really a base for his card and comic business, in which he travels to shows. His toy car section has increased, and occasionally it includes military items. Before that, I relied on charity shops. But they are drying up as a source, modern toys are non-history linked, and much more is sold on Ebay.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Fantastic finds! Perhaps it is the fact that I'm in the US, but all I ever find at our local charity shops are cheap knock-off plastic "army men" for prices more than they cost to buy at a "big box" store. When I visit my mom, I try to take in a large open air fleamarket, but prices are far from reasonable for anything considered remotely "antique" (anything made before 2000 apparently judging by the merchandise)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I have several hobbies which are tied to finds in charity shops. I now accept that much of the good stuff is actually 30 years old, or more, and is now scarce. For example, I have about 100 Christmas tree baubles, bells, grapes, etc, that are made of mercury glass and pre1980, some of mine date back to the 1930s. I used to pick them up for 10p each. Last year the charity shops furnished nothing, all they had were modern, matt coloured plastic! While on Ebay vintage glass has become quite expensive. Fortunately, Airfix toy soldiers have been reproduced, and some of these still appear in charity shops. Still, times are changing, as is the quality, lol.
      Michael

      Delete