SPECIAL THANKS. I would like to thank Paul Watson for his sponsorship of several lead figure collections on this blog. Having decided to clear his spare/surplus figures, he generously forwarded them on with no other requirement than they deserved to be restored. I would also like to mention George S. Mills, who kindly furnished a quantity of plastic figures which greatly enhanced several collections.

Friday 3 May 2024

Danish, Mecklenburg, Prussian, and Ruritanian Toy Soldiers

Recently received a packet of lead-cast heads from Irregular Miniatures, and having also home-cast some more of my own, have completed a fair number of figures which were otherwise painted, based, and varnished. 

First up is Prince Rudolf of Ruritania in his new staff car. The figure is a home-cast which I have converted into a seated position.. The attendant in the white uniform was the master of ceremonies in the palace ball, it is also the last metal figure from that cheap box of castings I picked up some months ago. The driver is a converted plastic marine, which arrived in the recent box of plastic toy soldiers.

original standard bearer, and driver.

Next up are some plastic herald guardsmen converted into Mecklenburg dragoons c.1848. They will be serving against my Danish army.

Here we see some Danish sharpshooters or Jaeger. Again, these are converted plastic guardsmen. And a nice contrast to the red coated Danish line infantry.

Three old lead figures have furnished a Prussian artillery crew for my howitzer.

And here are some plastic guardsmen now wearing the uniform of the Ruritanian military band, drafted to serve as an artillery crew for Prince Rudolf. All my Ruritanian representations are linked to uniforms that appear in the Prisoner of Zenda movie of 1952.

Outrider for my Prince Michael's Artillery company, making a crew of four.
Original drummer.

PART TWO

Recent acquisitions. From a second hand shop picked up this Ford Pick-up F-100 1956 die-east, made by Sunnyside Toys of Hong Kong, not sure when. The real vehicles was manufactured during 1948 to 1983. I also picked up this nice Matchbox trailer, made in 1978. Both items cost 50p each. Will need to fabricate the rear hatch and some wing mirrors.

Two more items from the collectables shop, one for my potential garage model. The shopkeeper kindly granted some discount, they cost £7 in total. As a Londoner of the 1970s, had to have the bus stop.

MGB
Replies to recent comments recorded below.
Thanks MJT, I must admit the staff car and Rudolf's gang have worked out very nicely. It will enhance what is a colourful but quite small collection. Yes, I spotted the bus stop and had to have it..... totally out of place for my wargaming periods, but who cares, lol.

Thank you, Brad. I have enjoyed returning to armies that don't wear drab coloured uniforms, lol. I still need some spares from Langley for near twenty old lead figures, a mixture of heads and arms. Most are connected to the Schleswig-Holstein Wars. I will then decline further projects and get to play a few wargames, mainly 19th century and Ruritanian.

Cheers Donnie. It is always nice to clear some projects, some of the headless figures have been hanging around for at least six months. Have just this moment discovered the bus sign is a post WW2 Tri-ang toy, part of their Spot-On range, code L130/7, listed as 1/42 scale (not that I care). And the design is fine for British bus stops of the late 1930s, according to one photo I found. So I will add it to my British toy town for sure.

Cheers Q. Blow me if the rain hasn't stopped today, Saturday. Might try and set up the table for a war-game! 

That's very kind Quinn, as I have mentioned elsewhere, it was a pleasure for me to return to the bold colours of the 19th century, the 20th century uniforms are so dominated with mud-brown uniforms. Have just this minute finished a test war-game in the garden (a sunny Saturday!). It involved gunboats and a redoubt. The Danish Navy engaged the Schleswig Volunteers. I can confirm it was a pleasure, great fun, and a working system. Will upload the photos in a few days.

5 comments:

  1. Great work converting/restoring broken figures MGB. The Prince and his driver look splendid in the vintage car.
    Some lovely new acquisitions too. The bus stop is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ruritanian staff car and prince Rudolf are beautiful Michael! The dragoons and sharpshooters look just right and the artillery sets have the perfect toy soldier feel! Is there a "Prisoner of Zenda" war game coming in the near future? That would be wonderful to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great figures, all really very nice indeed, but I find the dragoons really top notch, great job on them. Nice finds and the bus stop is cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael I am in awe looking at this stunning and beautiful figures that you have created. The Ruritanian’s are WOW with the staff car, details of the uniforms etc. you can captured the characters so well I cannot say WOW enough. The macklenbergers, danish sharp shooters and Prussian howitzers are more WOW’s. So beautiful well done Michael !!!!

    ReplyDelete